Best app for sync'ing Macs (URGENT)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ardoptres, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ardoptres macrumors regular

I have an MBP for school and an iMac for homestuff. I download different stuff on each of them, like apps and songs, and I like to do word processing on it as well, so i often transfer documents from the MBP to the iMac w/ a usb-stick, which is very inconvenient.

I want an app that scans the system on computer Y and compares it to the system on computer X, then copies the files it doesn't find there to computer Y and vice versa.

Is there something that does this pretty easily and seamlessly?

Thanks in advance.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have made my 3 notebooks essentially "stateless". By "essentially"... that means that I have no "original data" on my laptops.

To do this... I keep the original copy of everything for both my wife and I on either:

1) My 27" 2TB i7 iMac (double backed up to cloud and to a TC)
    2) In the cloud synced to all Macs (iMac and laptops)

For cloud backup, I use Mobile Me for "high capacity storage", and I use dropbox for "quick synchronization storage"

The original copy of all of our pictures, music, spreadsheets, word documents, etc all live on the iMac. Because it is double backed up... I know that I will never lose any of that data.

I do copy versions of my music and pictures to my MBA/MBPs... but I know those are only copies... so if I ever lose my laptop, the orginals are still safe at home. The ramification of this is that we always add new content to the home iMac. This takes dicipline... and to be honest... trying to add music (your example) to more than one machine is problematic. eventually, you will probably make a mistake and lose some. I find it easier to just add new content to the home iMac.

We keep all data that we want with us all the time... which includes most of our documents... on the cloud... with local copies synced to the iMac, and all 3 laptops. The beauty of this is that we can edit our documents no matter where we are, and the changes synchronize back to the cloud, and to all of our machines.

Other things we do is use Xmarks to keep our bookmarks in sync, mobile me to keep our address books, calendars, etc in sync, we use 1password to keep all of our passwords in sync (via dropbox), etc. My wife and I both give each other login accounts on our personal laptops (MBA and MBP)... so that we can each have everything even if only one of us has a laptop with us at the time.

In daily use... this means that I can walk up to either:
    1) My work MBP,
    2) My personal MBA
    3) My login account on my wife's MBP
    4) My login of our shared 27" iMac

... and all of the machines look exactly the same... with all of our data that I care about ready to use, synced across all the machines, and double backed up both locally and to the cloud. I find this to be very powerful.

/Jim

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately because I'm looking at getting a Hackintoshed netbook, which I would want to be in sync with my main MacBook.

My purposes will be a little different than yours, as I'm mostly concerned about keeping documents in sync (netbook will mostly be used for note-taking in class & doing work in the library etc.), but I've found that Dropbox can be used to keep folders seamlessly in sync between two (or more) Macs. Here are a few helpful links I've bookmarked for myself:

http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/SyncOtherFolders
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090929052128498
    http://www.pxc.me.uk/misc/dropbox_mac_use.html

4. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

The dropbox thing seems a little too computery for me...

All I want is an app that scans the system on computer Y and compares it to the system on computer X, then it copies the files it doesn't find there and vice versa.

5. christoxo macrumors newbie

Could Super Duper be used for this? This is what SD does with an external HD.

Christo