Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I must be slow. You have a usb cable plugged into your iPad (through the camera connection kit I guess) and it's tethering that way? How's it showing the connection? Wifi?

He is using his iMac on wifi coming from his iphone. No discussion of iPad but the process would be the same. Start MyWi with internet tethering on your phone, then look for the SSID on your iPad. Just as if you were going into Starbux with your iPad and looking for a wifi connection.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Just as if you were going into Starbux with your iPad and looking for a wifi connection.

Speaking of which, I have this strong urge to go into a Starbucks and set up a wifi hotspot called "Starbucks Sucks". It's so juvenile and mildly hypocritical, but the last two times I've been there I haven't been able to get on their retarded ATT Starbucks Card wifi system because it is so endlessly retarded.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
He is using his iMac on wifi coming from his iphone. No discussion of iPad but the process would be the same. Start MyWi with internet tethering on your phone, then look for the SSID on your iPad. Just as if you were going into Starbux with your iPad and looking for a wifi connection.

Nah I know how to do it, I've been doing it for 2 weeks now. I just got lost on the USB cable part.

orbis

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Just "Spirited" my iPhone 3Gs 3.1.3 and I'm wondering the same thing....

will the old solution : (work?) (NOTE AS OF YET THIS IS UNTESTED WITH THE SPIRIT HACK)

1. Go to Cydia and look for Repositories category
2. Select and install iFoneGuide.nl
3. After Cydia restarts, go to the Search tab and search for Tethering Patch
4. Select and install the patch that fits your phone (3G or 3GS).
5. Once that is done, quit Cydia and enter Safari
6. Type in the address bar: http://help.benm.at
7. Scroll down and select Mobile Configuration
8. Select which ever country you reside in and later the carrier profile that matches you (AT&T, O2, Orange, etc)
9. After that, all you need is to go to Settings => General => Reset and select "Network Settings".
10. Your iPhone will reboot and you should now see Tethering up and working in Network Settings, enjoy!

When I go to install the tethering patch for the 3g phone, it says Http/1.1 404 not found at the installation screen.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
When I open up MyWi it just keeps saying

"License Expired: Checking for License Updates..."

Anyone know whats going on with that?

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I've installed MyWi twice today. Twice my iPhone 3GS has locked up on the "Reload Springboard" screen. Locked up for hours, causing me to have to restore my phone from iTunes. Twice.

WTF? If this is how JB'ing works, count me out!

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
1. upgrade to 3.1.3 with pwnage tool
2. install mywi

done. there's no reason to stay at 3.0.1.

hmm, you completely neglected my question and gave me some pretty bad advice, not even warning me that 3.1.3 can't be unlocked... Glad I'm not a noob.

I'm in 3.0.1 for a reason. I'm not upgrading to 3.1.3 because I'm selling it in a month unlocked and jbn.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
hmm, you completely neglected my question and gave me some pretty bad advice, not even warning me that 3.1.3 can't be unlocked... Glad I'm not a noob.

I'm in 3.0.1 for a reason. I'm not upgrading to 3.1.3 because I'm selling it in a month unlocked and jbn.

If you upgrade to 3.1.3 with pwnagetool, it'll still be unloackable. Pwnagetool removes the baseband from the ipsw, so that your baseband can't get upgraded.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

man, i love reading old replies to me. sometimes they are truly entertaining. :)

yes, i too am glad you're not a noob. :rolleyes:

loki007420

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Detroit
everytime i try to enable mywi is tries for a min or so then tells me it was unable to enable and that a reboot may help (or soft reset)... But when i reboot i get the same thing.. any ideas? im running 3.1.2 on JB'd 3gs

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
what ever happened to the carrier file update through itunes solution? Is this no longer an option with 3.1.3? I'd rather not jailbreak to have to pay $10 for an app to do what used to be done for free

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
Well I'm actually looking to pay the $10...mine says I only have the trial version. Does it give you the option to upgrade after the nine days? Or am I missing it?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Oh man. MyWi is so awesome. Just shows that Apple could've done this so easily(even if it was done for iPhones only), but NO, they had to try and squeeze even more cash out of us, by making a 3G version.
It streams hi-res YouTube videos so flawlessly, you have to wonder why they make the iPhone use the crappy 'mobile' version of YouTube videos when on 3G.
I'm glad I imported my 16GB wi-fi now, instead of waiting for a 3G version and the subsequent costs. Thank the Lord, for the Spirit jailbreak! :D

Sent from my iPad.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Just "Spirited" my iPhone 3Gs 3.1.3 and I'm wondering the same thing....

will the old solution : (work?) (NOTE AS OF YET THIS IS UNTESTED WITH THE SPIRIT HACK)

1. Go to Cydia and look for Repositories category
2. Select and install iFoneGuide.nl
3. After Cydia restarts, go to the Search tab and search for Tethering Patch
4. Select and install the patch that fits your phone (3G or 3GS).
5. Once that is done, quit Cydia and enter Safari
6. Type in the address bar: http://help.benm.at
7. Scroll down and select Mobile Configuration
8. Select which ever country you reside in and later the carrier profile that matches you (AT&T, O2, Orange, etc)
9. After that, all you need is to go to Settings => General => Reset and select "Network Settings".
10. Your iPhone will reboot and you should now see Tethering up and working in Network Settings, enjoy!

This will not work with 3.1.3. The carrier file encryption changed, so your phone will not accept the files from help.benm.at. Maybe this will change in the future now that 3.1.3 is a endorsed by the community.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Oh man. MyWi is so awesome. Just shows that Apple could've done this so easily(even if it was done for iPhones only), but NO, they had to try and squeeze even more cash out of us, by making a 3G version.
It streams hi-res YouTube videos so flawlessly, you have to wonder why they make the iPhone use the crappy 'mobile' version of YouTube videos when on 3G.
I'm glad I imported my 16GB wi-fi now, instead of waiting for a 3G version and the subsequent costs. Thank the Lord, for the Spirit jailbreak! :D

Sent from my iPad.

If your interested, Gizmodo has a good article on 3G video streaming standards that explains why the quality is reduced. Also, don't forget, the iPhone has tethering capabilities built-in and it's up to the carrier to enable it. MyWi's ability to tether mostly comes from the core OS ability. MyWi adds a wrapper for ad-hoc WiFi at the expense of added battery drain.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I've installed MyWi twice today. Twice my iPhone 3GS has locked up on the "Reload Springboard" screen. Locked up for hours, causing me to have to restore my phone from iTunes. Twice.

WTF? If this is how JB'ing works, count me out!

That's been me the last 2 nights. Is there a really clear guide to follow with the current info (what software works)??

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
That's been me the last 2 nights. Is there a really clear guide to follow with the current info (what software works)??

MyWi is a pretty low level application and it does not get the regression testing typically given for this kind of functionality. Many people have gotten it to work under the latest 3.1.3 JB, but the developers position has been to run 3.1.2 since that is where all official testing has been done. 3.1.3 support is at your own risk for now.
That said, if you have some time to waste you can try the following:
Perform a fresh 3.1.3 restore
For now, do NOT restore your backup
JB with Spirit
Launch Cydia and allow it to perform all updates
Reboot your phone
Launch Cydia and install MyWi (it includes a 10 day trial)
Reboot your phone
Test​
If it does not work, you can try the same steps, but with MiWi(No Rock). This version is more stable for some users since it does not require the Rock extensions, however it does not include a trail period. Do not use a hacked versions, they seem to have problems. If you are still having issues at this point, your HW has a conflict with MyWi and you may need to wait until the next update to try again.
If you manage to get MyWi working, restore you phone one more time and this time restore you backup. To save time, you can cancel the sync after the restore step is done and sync you apps/music later. Now open settings and goto general->resets->reset network settings. The phone will reboot.
At this point perform the steps above starting at: JB with Spirit
If it fails this time, it's due to something in your profile and you will need to decide if you want to lose your App data, but have a working MyWi, or fore-go MyWi.

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.