Best app for viewing/browsing pics?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, May 2, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'd like an app for viewing pics like in Windows, meaning that I can click on a pic and then view/browse through all the pics in that folder without having to first select all of them.

Since Preview is NOT what suits me, I've tried various apps like Xee, JustLooking and Phoenix Slides. I'm currently using the latter. It's decent, but I'm still looking for some perhaps even better alternatives.

Hopefully someone can list some other apps for viewing pics the way I wish to.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I use Quicklook for that. Select the first pic, press Space and navigate though the folder with the arrow keys.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

With Leopard, quicklook is often my choice. I also have ViewIt for other activities. I also use Picasa some for my photo management. Haven't given it a ton of time though to decide how much I may like it.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

And it's free!

+1

+2
    Exactly, and it's free!

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

8. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

my friends, you are all missing the boat. the best 'simple' image viewer is phoenix slides

it's faster than anything else out there, i used to rely on this when i had an ibook and i still use it to look at folders of images that don't have previews already stored in aperture.

9. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

10. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Quicklook does the trick for me.

Also, for easy browsing you cans set the view options on a pictures folder to Show finder preview and then make the icons nice n' big.

11. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah this is the one I've been using. What I found annoying about Phoenix Slides is that whenever you open a pic, the program will as well open a window with folders and pics. I don't feel like closing that window each time I view even a single pic only. Is there a way to disable that window from popping out?

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

On the other hand, Quicklook is indeed pretty nice, except that as soon as you make it full screen you'll have to have selected all the pics in order to be able to browse through them. Otherwise you'll only be able to view the very pic you opened, which I find annoying.

13. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying there is but there might be a Quick Look plugin for that. Look around, you might find something you like.

14. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

In Windows, I use an image browser called Fastone Image Viewer. This is without a doubt the easiest program to view and manage your image files. It even has a portable version that you can install on a flash drive. Unfortunately, their is not a Mac version of it. I will look at the recommended viewers, but just looking at the links gives me an indication that they do not have the functionality of Fastone. The app is free which makes it even better.

I have not heard any mention of Xee. Anyone have any experience with it?

If you are interested in seeing what Fastone offers, jump over to look at its features.

http://www.faststone.org/

15. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

If you read my post carefully you'll notice that I DID mention Xee. It's not bad, but just doesn't do it for me.

And btw, I was obviously asking about an image viewing app for MAC and not for Windows (which FastStone is).

16. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

SAT, what I am also looking for is an image viewer for the MAC that matches what Fastone can do an I have yet to find one.

17. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman