Best app for writing a book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Serban, May 19, 2013.

1. Serban Suspended

I don't know if here is the right place. But i want to ask if any of you know an app for writing a book, but i need that icloud backup or something like notes or contacts that are updating content on all of my apple products. I mean i will be writing on my imac but when im not at home i have a macbook or ipad and i want to write right from where i left it.

2. opinio macrumors 65816

I just use word and keep the file in dropbox.

But for what you want in terms of across Mac and iOS I think Pages (Apple app) is best. I don't like Pages but it is the best app for cross platform.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

Pages is cross device, although you will need a copy for OSX and one for IOS, it's full featured and will allow you to keep your writing synced as you require.

4. Serban thread starter Suspended

what is wrong with pages ? because i didn't use it and i want to know if will be bother me too

5. opinio macrumors 65816

Pages is a good App, but as I write large academic and policy papers I need word because it has a million more options for formatting.

Pages is not aimed at the technical document maker like my self.

Check out its application on the apple site.

6. Serban thread starter Suspended

i just installed iwork and use pages for 5 min but how can i access what i wrote on my imac to my macbook?

7. entropi macrumors 6502

I would use writeroom for iOS, it syncs with dropbox and then on the mac you just write in the basic texteditor - simple & easy!

8. Serban thread starter Suspended

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Why don't you use something like Dropbox? Install it on both, and then just save your file in the directory that is used for syncing? That's what I do, except I use my Adobe Creative Cloud and I use it with pretty much every app on my machine.

As for writing. I really like Scrivener. It's pricy, but so worth it. Made especially for long form writing, with a bunch of cool tools to organize your brainstorming.

http://literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

10. opinio macrumors 65816

You need the OS X version of Pages on your Mac. Get if from the OS X App store.

Also I think you need to tick 'documents and data' in 'iCloud' in 'System Preferences' on your Mac.

11. arsimoun macrumors member

Best software for writing a book...

I use MS WORD, and it is excellent. That said, I just paid for a program called Scrivener (a free trial version is available) which is excellent for complicated, longer documents.

Hope that helps.

Adam Rodman

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Scrivener

Another vote for Scrivener. I bought it half off ($22?) after NaNoWriMo this year and I'd buy it again if I needed to.

Great organization, easy to back up, exports to everything, formats for major ebook and literary formats.

But I don't type on anything but my MBA, so I can't speak to how well it would work on iOS.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Another "vote" for Scrivener, with the document stored in Dropbox.

14. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yep, another vote for Scrivener. I have been using for about 3 years. The longer I use it, the most practical it becomes. You can check out the discussion forum about what apps work best on iOS. But sometime this year there will be a Scrivener iOS version.

15. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Thanks for this thread, i learned a bit too from it

16. jojoba macrumors 68000

17. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I much prefer Pages to Word. I'm writing my PhD thesis in it.

18. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I'm a big fan of Storyist. Dropbox support, export to any file type, awesome companion app for iPad, and frequent updates.

19. jojoba macrumors 68000

Does Storyist retain formatting between mac and iPad, such as indents, different size font and text in italics? It's my only gripe with Scrivener, as syncing to plain text format on my iPad often messes up the formatting.

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Scrivener on Macs, iA Writer on iPad, saved to Dropbox. Also, Scapple is great for mind map things and you can drag and drop from there into Scrivener.

21. 960design macrumors 68000

Not sure of your needs, but Pages and possibly iBook Author.

Pages syncs across all your devices. I start writing something on my iMac at work, continue working on it during lunch on my MBP. Later double check research at home on my iMac. I also can edit ( albeit lightly ) on my iPad. Mostly I use the iPad for presentation. But it's helpful to be able to correct a misspelled name or chemical.

22. phrk macrumors member

Scrivener is by far the best app I know for this purpose.

You can sync it with Simplenote or Elements. So working on the go on an iPad is no Problem.

If you want to sync it with other Macs just save you project with Dropbox, as already mentioned.

23. ratsg macrumors 6502

Adobe Framemaker, anything prior to version 9.

24. Robellyn macrumors member

Storymill from Mariner software works pretty well too.