Best app for writing a book

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I don't know if here is the right place. But i want to ask if any of you know an app for writing a book, but i need that icloud backup or something like notes or contacts that are updating content on all of my apple products. I mean i will be writing on my imac but when im not at home i have a macbook or ipad and i want to write right from where i left it.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I don't know if here is the right place. But i want to ask if any of you know an app for writing a book, but i need that icloud backup or something like notes or contacts that are updating content on all of my apple products. I mean i will be writing on my imac but when im not at home i have a macbook or ipad and i want to write right from where i left it.
I just use word and keep the file in dropbox.

But for what you want in terms of across Mac and iOS I think Pages (Apple app) is best. I don't like Pages but it is the best app for cross platform.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I just use word and keep the file in dropbox.

But for what you want in terms of across Mac and iOS I think Pages (Apple app) is best. I don't like Pages but it is the best app for cross platform.
what is wrong with pages ? because i didn't use it and i want to know if will be bother me too

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
what is wrong with pages ? because i didn't use it and i want to know if will be bother me too
Pages is a good App, but as I write large academic and policy papers I need word because it has a million more options for formatting.

Pages is not aimed at the technical document maker like my self.

Check out its application on the apple site.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
i just installed iwork and use pages for 5 min but how can i access what i wrote on my imac to my macbook?

entropi

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
I would use writeroom for iOS, it syncs with dropbox and then on the mac you just write in the basic texteditor - simple & easy!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why don't you use something like Dropbox? Install it on both, and then just save your file in the directory that is used for syncing? That's what I do, except I use my Adobe Creative Cloud and I use it with pretty much every app on my machine.

As for writing. I really like Scrivener. It's pricy, but so worth it. Made especially for long form writing, with a bunch of cool tools to organize your brainstorming.

http://literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
i just installed iwork and use pages for 5 min but how can i access what i wrote on my imac to my macbook?
You need the OS X version of Pages on your Mac. Get if from the OS X App store.

Also I think you need to tick 'documents and data' in 'iCloud' in 'System Preferences' on your Mac.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
Best software for writing a book...

I use MS WORD, and it is excellent. That said, I just paid for a program called Scrivener (a free trial version is available) which is excellent for complicated, longer documents.

Hope that helps.

Adam Rodman

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Scrivener

Another vote for Scrivener. I bought it half off ($22?) after NaNoWriMo this year and I'd buy it again if I needed to.

Great organization, easy to back up, exports to everything, formats for major ebook and literary formats.

But I don't type on anything but my MBA, so I can't speak to how well it would work on iOS.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Yep, another vote for Scrivener. I have been using for about 3 years. The longer I use it, the most practical it becomes. You can check out the discussion forum about what apps work best on iOS. But sometime this year there will be a Scrivener iOS version.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I'm a big fan of Storyist. Dropbox support, export to any file type, awesome companion app for iPad, and frequent updates.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm a big fan of Storyist. Dropbox support, export to any file type, awesome companion app for iPad, and frequent updates.
Does Storyist retain formatting between mac and iPad, such as indents, different size font and text in italics? It's my only gripe with Scrivener, as syncing to plain text format on my iPad often messes up the formatting.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Scrivener on Macs, iA Writer on iPad, saved to Dropbox. Also, Scapple is great for mind map things and you can drag and drop from there into Scrivener.

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Not sure of your needs, but Pages and possibly iBook Author.

Pages syncs across all your devices. I start writing something on my iMac at work, continue working on it during lunch on my MBP. Later double check research at home on my iMac. I also can edit ( albeit lightly ) on my iPad. Mostly I use the iPad for presentation. But it's helpful to be able to correct a misspelled name or chemical.

phrk

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Germany
Scrivener is by far the best app I know for this purpose.

You can sync it with Simplenote or Elements. So working on the go on an iPad is no Problem.

If you want to sync it with other Macs just save you project with Dropbox, as already mentioned.