Best app to convert videos to iPad-friendly format?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Doju, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Interested in a good app to convert to an iPad friendly format.

Was using Handbrake for awhile, but the devs are idiots. I asked if they'd eventually add a batch encode option so unlike every single other encoder it wouldn't take five steps to add one file. I was then permanently banned after being told it was a stupid suggestion and likely never going to happen. Firstly, why, when every other encoder can handle it, and secondly, what the hell? Ban-happy much?

Like it to be as fast as Handbrake and everything.

On another note, if anyone can figure out how to add more than one file to Handbrake at once without adding every individual source file to it, I'd love that. I have like three hundred TV shows I'd like to encode and clicking each one individual seems like an absolutely primitive idea.

2. supermanx macrumors member

Air video will give you one click convert and queue capabilities in addition to online streaming.

3. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Air Video is good.

Also if you don't mind large files, Xilisoft iPad converter gives pretty good quality videos and is easy to use.

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I use VisualHub and that handles batches perfectly.

5. WERA Cannoli macrumors newbie

You need to do a little research before bashing on developers of FREE software. Spend 5 minutes on google and you would have found your answer for batch encoding.

Go get HandBrakeCLI (for the Mac) or whatever version you need for your OS. Put it in the path or the directory with all your .avi files (or whatever format) and make a script with this:

#!/bin/bash
    sourcedir=./
    destdir="/Volumes/My Book/My Videos"
    cd "$sourcedir"
    for i in *.*; do
    HandBrakeCLI -i "$i" -o "$destdir/${i%.*}.mp4" --preset=AppleTV
    done

This is for a Linux/UNIX/Mac OS X command line. You'll have to modify the lines of code to represent your source and destination directory. If you're using Winblows, you're on your own.

Good luck

6. usher macrumors newbie

usher

sounds good, how does it cost?

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if your looking to stream videos to the ipad then Airvideo is amazing. looking to convert files to transfer dirrectly to the ipad id use handbrake.

8. sherm41 macrumors member

as most have said try handbrake..i have also used "MPEG Streamclip" and it worked well too

9. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

As most have said try Handbrake. I just converted Avatar, it could not have been simpler, the cost was right (free), and the video looks great on my MPB. I can't wait until Friday and upload it to my new IPad 3g 64GB, I'll bet it will look just as good or better.

Cheers,

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Spend 5 minutes browsing around on their forums and you'll realize what that the OP posted is dead on - those guys are the biggest bunch of arrogant jerks I have ever seen on a forum - free software or not.