Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKevinFang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2015
I'm looking for an app which allows me to view all kinds of documents, mostly Word docs and PDF files, and which allows me to edit them. I also need some kind of lock feature, so when I'm reading and I touch the screen, nothing happens.

I've been accustomed to Android's file system for a long time, so I have no idea how to store these files on iPhone...

Thanks,

Kevin

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I have tried a whole lot of apps for this, but overall none that amazing... You can save all of your pdfs and word docs to Pages, only really worth it if you're using Pages on both Mac and iOS... Otherwise sticking to something like Dropbox (https://db.tt/8AYkFg59) which not only gives access to PDFs and Word, but to all files types (vids, photos, PP, and Excel) is really the best option... Some people like Google Drive as well... I find it a good substitute to Dropbox.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I'm using Readdle's Documents for file management. It's a free app and works excellently for me.
Their PDF Expert integrates perfectly, and allows for both reading and annotating.
If you want to edit documents, I think you'll need to go Pages / Numbers or Word / Excel.

Reactions: Zirel

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I agree with GerritV Readdle's Documents 5 (free) is a very good app to have in this case to open and search very quickly in e.g. PDF documents. For some small PDF editing you could look at the TinyPDF app (temporary free).
A great filebrowser on iOS is FileBrowser (paid 5,99 dollar, with lots of options or free).

Other file browser alternatives are File Manager (free, with 0,99 dollar in app purchase option) and FileMaster (free, with 2,99 dollar in app to remove ads.

For editing Word files you could either use Microsoft Word (free, with in-app purchase options) or convert your files a Google Doc file (stored on Google Drive).

Last edited:

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I agree with GerritV Readdle's Documents 5 (free) is a very good app to have in this case to open and search very quickly in e.g. PDF documents. For some small PDF editing you could look at the TinyPDF app (temporary free).
A great filebrowser on iOS is FileBrowser (paid 5,99 dollar, with lots of options or free).

Other file browser alternatives are File Manager (free, with 0,99 dollar in app purchase option) and FileMaster (free, with 2,99 dollar in app to remove ads.

For editing Word files you could either use Microsoft Word (free, with in-app purchase options) or convert your files a Google Doc file (stored on Google Drive).

Glad you enjoy Documents 5, guys! Our PDF Expert 5 work perfectly for those who need pro features to edit and manage PDFs.

best regards,
Readdle Team

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I'm using Readdle's Documents for file management. It's a free app and works excellently for me.
Their PDF Expert integrates perfectly, and allows for both reading and annotating.
If you want to edit documents, I think you'll need to go Pages / Numbers or Word / Excel.

This, Document5 is easily the best.

It's also free, no ads, no IAP's, it's too good to be true, but it's true, and it's that good!

Fan of Readle, bought the PDF App from them!

---------

Transmit by Panic!, is somewhat better for some things in FTP, SFTP, etc... access...

But it's paid, if you need those features a lot...

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
This, Document5 is easily the best.

It's also free, no ads, no IAP's, it's too good to be true, but it's true, and it's that good!

Fan of Readle, bought the PDF App from them!

Thank you for so kind words! You guys constantly motivate us to improve our apps and create new cool products:)

best regards,
Readdle Team

Reactions: Jessica Lares
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.