Best App to take notes in Uni?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustMack, Oct 7, 2010.

1. JustMack macrumors member

Hey, as I have mentioned before I am in university studying Chemical and Process engineering.
    I wasn't to use my MBP for taking notes, but I was wondering which App is the best/most efficient for taking notes in class for subjects like Mathematics and Fluid Mechanics and Process Analysis - where there are alot of formulaic/mathematic examples and worked solutions to take note of, as well as process/flow diagrams and models.
    I tried to make do with Pages and Word, but at the moment I am still not too familiar with them to be able to take notes quickly and efficiently. Maybe in due time, I will be.
    I seen people talk about VoodooPad, FlySketch and some other apps. Some are ok, some I don't think are really worth the money.

I also saw these on the apple shop:

Wacom Bamboo Pen
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX287ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTM0NDk4OTg&s=topSellers

Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch (Small)
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX289ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTI5Mjc2MTI&s=topSellers#overview

Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX288ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTE5MjEzNDQ&s=topSellers

Which one of these do people most recommend for someone like me? Bear in mind I just want to take notes and do some diagrams...and also play about with CS5 once I get the copy from my friend..XD

I saw this, and I found it quite interesting..any comments?

Pulse 4GB Smartpen from Livescribe
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX710Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTMzNzkyNzc&s=topSellers

I realise nothing can really beat pen and paper, but I want to try something different and make more use of my macbook pro. I hope all will understand, and will give me some help. Thanks!!

PS how do you format the links so that when u click on the name, it takes you to the site?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Write what the link should look like, select the text, click the [​IMG] button on top of the text entry field and enter/paste the www address.

Example: VBB Code List looks like [URL="http://forums.macrumors.com/misc.php?do=bbcode"]VBB Code List[/URL]

3. xyanide14 macrumors newbie

Personally, I use Microsoft word. It has an awesome notebook layout that is really nice for taking notes. You should take a look at that. Anyway, its really your preference because it depends on how the application appeals to you.

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

i tried circus but now I'm back to office 2011

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

I'm using Microsoft Word Notebook View right now. Seems to work like I want it. :)

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

As someone with a chemical engineering degree, you will be absolutely screwed for staying up to speed while trying to type 8-12 chalkboards of utter clusterf*ck formulas, or drawing process control diagrams with a computer, let alone distillation columns and McCabe-Thiele charts etc.

Notebook>>>>>>>>>Computer.

Nobody--and I mean nobody--dared try to go through chemE lectures with a computer. It would've been absolutely impossible to keep up, let alone focus.

Don't try to be the cool guy with the computer--you need a notebook and some GOOD pencils. I mean you can get the wacom if you really want, but what's really the point? There are so many times where you are going to need to be looking at multiple pages of notes at once that it will defeat the purpose.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

9. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

No one will like my suggestion but I'll offer it anyway. When I was doing grad work, I would take notes on a paper notebook and in my preparation for my next class - I would recreate the notes using LaTeX. This was a very useful strategy that provided several benefits:

1) Learned to use LaTeX.
    2) Got a second look at all material.
    3) Refreshed subject matter from previous lecture and allowed me to contact the Prof between lectures to resolve any confusion.
    4) Provided for a beautiful and thorough review for any exams as well as future coursework.

Now, I have bound volumes of all my grad notes sitting in my library as well as PDFs that I've lent to several colleagues.

Like I said, no one will like it but it will serve you well. Besides, no other program will offer the mathematical flexibility. YMMV.

10. deeesea macrumors 6502

I use preview. If your lecture slides are like mine, it's just a long PDF file with slides from the prof, I just use preview hit annotate and write notes on the side. Works very well so far.

11. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

12. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Puma1552, you speak like someone with experience. :D I guess you're right, I guess nothing can beat notebooks and ink. Especially in my course.

I think I'm going to do what Kufford did and write it out, then type it up later.

Any comments on the Wacom tablets? I still want one to play about for some graphic work.

13. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

14. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm taking mechanical engineering right now, and I have a fluid dynamics course this semester, and I wouldn't even dare typing it out. Like the other poster pointed out, I'm flipping through many pages of notes at once with diagrams, flowcharts and such, and a laptop would make me unproductive, even with a tablet attached to it.

Buy some quality pencils, a small ruler, and be a happy camper.

16. ale500 macrumors regular

It depends on the amount of time you have...

Reviewing material takes hours, more than the lecture. That could be good because you then have less to learn when the exam comes but you may not have that time. In such a case you have to study before the lecture and take the notes you need to complement what you learned... all lectures have been given before, find out which topic comes after last lecture. I did also chemistry.

I thought an iPad would be the best for something like that... taking notes on lectures... I'm not that sure they are there yet..., with the software.

17. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

Pen and a Notebook. Why make things more difficult then they need to be.

18. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

19. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Hey, I go to sixth form now so I dont really know what you need.

But I saw these a while back it may help you, I would probably laugh at someone using it tbh, unless it worked really well.

I will let you do the youtube researching...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Digital-Notepads-vs-Digital-Pens

20. seanconn macrumors member

Microsoft Word, in office 2011 for mac.

Notebook layout: check, audio notes: check!