Best app to text UK to Aus

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jimmy83, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Can anyone recomend the best/cheapest app to send sms texts from the UK to Australia?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are the messages going from iPhone to iPhone/Touch???

3. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Afraid not

4. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

5. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

My sister doesnt have an iPhone:rolleyes:

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Im sure it's iPod Touch compatible also. But failing that, i'd just email, its just as easy and its free.

AnDy

7. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats great but she doesnt always have access to a PC. I just need an app from my iPhone to a cheap basic phone via text message

8. laser345 macrumors newbie

FishText!

My vote would be for FishText (http://fishtext.com/), lets you text any number in the world for pennies - I believe its either 1.3p or 2p per text depending on which network in Australia you're texting.

Here's a link to the app http://linktoapp.com/fishtext

9. redbits macrumors newbie

Sms

Try GlobalAQ, download the free version and test if it supports your target network.

10. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, using this atm

11. superflush macrumors 6502a

Does this show that it comes from your number??? (when the other party receives it)

12. laser345 macrumors newbie

I believe you get the choice to either use your existing mobile number or to have a new one generated by FishText (for privacy reasons I guess)

13. grahamtearne macrumors regular

Facebook.

Facebook have an SMS service that you can subscribe to. Once registered to the SMS notifications whenever you get a comment or message from FB they text it to your phone.

It might be worth a shot, its free for users to recieve SMS updates and all you do is send the message via the facebook website or iPhone application and FB send that message in a SMS message to the recipient

14. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

O2

My girlfriend was recently in Aus and New Zealand. I added a family bolt on for £7.50 which give me free texts to her. (It's only meant to work in the uk) Also she noticed while away backpacking if she sent exactly 160 characters i.e 1 text message not one digit short or longer she never got charged. She was there for 3 months and I think the only thing we paid for was the family bolt on.

Might be of some use for you. Could have been a lot more expensive. also worked if grouping 2 or 3 msgs together but never go over the full characters for 2 or 3 texts consecutively then.

She was on o2 pay as you go with a non iphone phone