Best App to track my runs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewwg94, Aug 14, 2010.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

I do cross country so i run 5 miles every morning. I've been messing around with a lot of apps to track my runs. I started out with nike+ and i must say it is very feature-limited and not accurate (4.4% error after calibration) compared to GPS with the motionX app (~2% error compared to google maps). so far i've tried:
    -Nike+
    -motionX GPS

and i just downloaded Runkeeper and i'll be trying that out. Any other apps i should try? Runkeeper looks promising so far.

p.s. does anyone know any decent headphones that are sweat-proof and won't fallout while running? the stock i4 headphones keep falling out and the remote buttons would sometimes temporarily stop working..

2. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I use runkeeper and it's awesome! It maps out your run as you go, shows how fast you were going in segments of your run, and even shows you your elevation. I can't think of any other feature I'd want in a running app. I'm considering upgrading to the Pro version to get rid of the ads and just because I'm very happy with the app.

As for headphones, I use the Motorola Rockr S9-HD Bluetooth headphones. They are sweat resistance, have a nice snug fit and sound pretty good. The bass is better than the stock iPhone headphones. The only issue is the occasional drop out in the audio, but that only happens right when I start running on occasion. It's rare, a d when it happens it's only for a second. I still recommend them. Oh, and the battery lasts for a good 10 hours on them, so they shouldn't die in the middle of a run.

Hope this helps.

3. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! those headphones look like just what i've been looking for. i'll be grabbing a pair off ebay.

4. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

ok i just found this website that compares 4 different apps:

http://www.abvio.com/running-guide/

Runmeter looks good too. My favorite thing about runkeeper are the "target pace announcements". I hope this works just like it sounds, i'll have to see for myself..

5. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

6. mtndew macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Another vote for Runkeeper. I have had it a while and it has transformed into a very mature product with a great group behind it.

For my ears, Jaybird tiger-eyes. Sweat proof with buttons on the cord. Great sound.

Happy running!

7. XLR8 macrumors regular

Runkeeper for running, mountain biking, cycling hiking...

upload you stats to their website to see even more info. The really cool thing I like about Runkeeper is the mile badges it shows along the route. It's very slick and they've done a great job.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I read this title and thought it had something to do with bowel movements. Guess not :(.

9. ekoloss macrumors newbie

10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

lol.

I used RunKeeper for awhile then I just stopped tracking. That is a cool app though.

11. ag227 macrumors regular

12. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Try the new Adidas Micoach, it's free on the iphone.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

my vote is for runkeeper pro. I use this app when walking the dog, running, biking, and lots of other things. Not free, but well worth the cost.

14. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

I used Runkeeper free and really like it. Then tried Runtastic Pro. It has all the features of Runkeeper Pro but half the cost. Take a look at it.

15. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Another vote for RunKeeper. Simply the BEST activity tracking app. The app combined with their website are top notch. Also, they are pretty aggressive about putting out updates, whether it's for bug fixes or new features. I used the free version for a while, but was so impressed I paid 10 bucks for the pro version. That was two years ago. Still a happy user.

16. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

17. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I cycle a few times each week and found Runkeeper beat any other app, even the ones made especially for cycling.

P

18. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Based on what I read on this thread, and on the feedback on the app site in the APP Store, I bought and downloaded this App.

I've been using Nike + but you need to use the accelerometer in your shoe, if you forget it, you have no data. Also it does not work on bikes and needs to be calibrated frequently.

It will be interesting to see how this works. I was considering getting a GPS unit just for jogging and biking but this most likely will do the job instead.

Thanks to all who posted here.

19. C0bra K0mmander macrumors regular

C0bra K0mmander