Best app to turn on or off your iMac

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,

I'm looking for the best app for my iPhone 4s to turn on or off my iMac with Mountain Lion? I found one, Off remote, is there another one out there?

Thanks, Jerry

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm looking for the best app for my iPhone 4s to turn on or off my iMac with Mountain Lion? I found one, Off remote, is there another one out there?
Why turn off your iMac at all? Many users go months at a time without shutting down, using sleep instead.

heinbman

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
I leave mine on sleep almost all the time. Why do you need to turn your imac on via an iPhone?

Panini

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Well, sleep doesn't allow incoming SSH/Screen Sharing connections for some reason, so this may be a reason to remotely power them on...

I remember reading about Bonjour being able to do it if you have the target computer's MAC address...

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks everyone!!
I think that the issue is that you can't turn it on from being completely off in any other way than pushing the power button. You could use something like LogMeIn Ignition to turn it off, though.

Depending on your situation, it might be better just to let it sleep instead if you need to operate it remotely....Or pay a guy to sit in your house and wait for texts to telling him to turn it on and off, haha...

Edit: This comment is assuming that yours was sarcastic, which it seemed like, based upon the nature of the discussion above.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
I think that the issue is that you can't turn it on from being completely off in any other way than pushing the power button. You could use something like LogMeIn Ignition to turn it off, though.

Depending on your situation, it might be better just to let it sleep instead if you need to operate it remotely....Or pay a guy to sit in your house and wait for texts to telling him to turn it on and off, haha...

Edit: This comment is assuming that yours was sarcastic, which it seemed like, based upon the nature of the discussion above.
Mine was not, was just thanking everyone for their time. I'm still looking into it!

ImTheOne

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
I have mine set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time, I can still use LogMeIn to wake it up...
With that being said, mine was rebooted for the first time in 4 months the other day.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
You can enable Wake on Lan if iMac supports it and use something like LogMeIn or TeamViewer to wake it up from your iOS device. I use ignition and know it supports it on the MBP but not sure if the free version would work for you or not.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Have like a giant power switch on the wall with your iMac connected to it and throw your iPhone at it to have it power on and off.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Wasting electricity that's why. Even sleep use some electricity.
BTW, any device that uses a remote control consumes electricity when it is OFF as long as it is plugged into a live plug.

So if you're really concerned about saving that much electricity, you should have a switchable extension for your TV, your DVR, cable box, and anything else that can be turned on via a remote.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I don't think I've turned off my G5 power-mac, my Windows XP/Vista/7, or my 2011 iMac in well. Whenever the power goes off?
Same. I haven't turned off a computer since my old 386SX, except (1) to move it, or (2) it wasn't responding to ctrl-alt-del / cmd-opt-esc.

The power draw of modern computers, especially when asleep, is very small. If you want to go nuts hunting down all your "vampiric power" and putting in hard switches on all of your electronics, I guess you can, but you'll probably spend more on the switches than you save on electricity.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Same. I haven't turned off a computer since my old 386SX, except (1) to move it, or (2) it wasn't responding to ctrl-alt-del / cmd-opt-esc.

The power draw of modern computers, especially when asleep, is very small. If you want to go nuts hunting down all your "vampiric power" and putting in hard switches on all of your electronics, I guess you can, but you'll probably spend more on the switches than you save on electricity.
Plus, when you turn them back on, it takes a fair amount of time to wake up, especially if it's a cable box.