Best app to turn on or off your iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lyons00, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm looking for the best app for my iPhone 4s to turn on or off my iMac with Mountain Lion? I found one, Off remote, is there another one out there?

Thanks, Jerry

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why turn off your iMac at all? Many users go months at a time without shutting down, using sleep instead.

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

4. heinbman macrumors newbie

I leave mine on sleep almost all the time. Why do you need to turn your imac on via an iPhone?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you get any work done with your Mac always asleep? :D

6. Panini macrumors regular

Well, sleep doesn't allow incoming SSH/Screen Sharing connections for some reason, so this may be a reason to remotely power them on...

I remember reading about Bonjour being able to do it if you have the target computer's MAC address...

7. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I think that the issue is that you can't turn it on from being completely off in any other way than pushing the power button. You could use something like LogMeIn Ignition to turn it off, though.

Depending on your situation, it might be better just to let it sleep instead if you need to operate it remotely....Or pay a guy to sit in your house and wait for texts to telling him to turn it on and off, haha...

Edit: This comment is assuming that yours was sarcastic, which it seemed like, based upon the nature of the discussion above.

9. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine was not, was just thanking everyone for their time. I'm still looking into it!

10. ImTheOne macrumors member

I have mine set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time, I can still use LogMeIn to wake it up...
    With that being said, mine was rebooted for the first time in 4 months the other day.

11. zai-huei macrumors member

Why an app?
    use this, I do, it's nice! ;)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A?fnode=54

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

You can enable Wake on Lan if iMac supports it and use something like LogMeIn or TeamViewer to wake it up from your iOS device. I use ignition and know it supports it on the MBP but not sure if the free version would work for you or not.

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

Wasting electricity that's why. Even sleep use some electricity.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You use more electricity by leaving a 40-watt bulb on.

16. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Have like a giant power switch on the wall with your iMac connected to it and throw your iPhone at it to have it power on and off.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

BTW, any device that uses a remote control consumes electricity when it is OFF as long as it is plugged into a live plug.

So if you're really concerned about saving that much electricity, you should have a switchable extension for your TV, your DVR, cable box, and anything else that can be turned on via a remote.

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I don't think I've turned off my G5 power-mac, my Windows XP/Vista/7, or my 2011 iMac in well. Whenever the power goes off?

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Same. I haven't turned off a computer since my old 386SX, except (1) to move it, or (2) it wasn't responding to ctrl-alt-del / cmd-opt-esc.

The power draw of modern computers, especially when asleep, is very small. If you want to go nuts hunting down all your "vampiric power" and putting in hard switches on all of your electronics, I guess you can, but you'll probably spend more on the switches than you save on electricity.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Plus, when you turn them back on, it takes a fair amount of time to wake up, especially if it's a cable box.