Best Apple MBPro 15" Bag/Sleeve

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maplestar, Apr 19, 2009.

1. maplestar macrumors member

OK, so I'm set to get a mid-end Macbook Pro (2.66 Ghz, everything else standard). I'm ordering from Amazon to avoid sales tax and will hopefully receive it by May.

I was wondering, what are the best brands for Macbook Pro cases and Sleeves out there? I took a look around Apple's website and it seems that the Incase Neoprene sleeves seem to be very good as well as some of their sling pack bags. However, it seemed that some people also reference Marware as well as Belkin.

My question is: I need a nice protective sleeve as well as a good bag to carry my new Macbook Pro. The bag needs to provide decent protection as well as be light. I don't need a humongous bag that can carry all the books in the world, by areas to hold the laptop charger + some accessories would be nice. Anyone have some suggestions for good brands?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

InCases are OK, some people report the zipper scratching the corners though. I've recently investigated the Tucano Second Skin, which has a little flap that covers the corners to prevent scratching. I eventually declined to buy it, because my InCase doesn't scratch the corners of my MBP.

3. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Yes

According to reviews at Apple's store, you are right. Some buyers report that Incase sleeves might scratch the computer. In that case, any better sleeves that don't have such reviews?

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

Speck see-thru shell and a Booq Vyper M2 case has kept my MBP looking brand new for over 2 years. :D

5. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

i have the tucano second skin elements. comes with a separate pouch for the power adapter/accessories.

6. akbc macrumors 6502

Booq FTW!
    I kept my Unibody MBP in an InCase sleeve before and it scratched my MBP.
    Then I moved on to a MBAir with Booq Taipan Skin. MBAir Taipan skin is only 200grams or something.. so... light!

Vyper is foamy and strong while taipan series is light and thin/small.

I also ordered the Booq BoA Slimcase S90 for my MBAir and expecting it to be here soon.

Booq seems a little expensive but my apple products are my precious investments so I don't mind spending some extra money to protect it well :)

I actually used Speck's See-Thru Satin case with MBP too. The reviews were better than the InCase's... But it added lots of weight and thickness...

Don't get hardshells... just go with a nice light sleeve.

http://www.booq.com

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

8. tekilla macrumors member

I was in the same dilema as to finding a decent sleeve (I put my MBP in a sleeve in a backpack, rather than a dedicated laptop bag).

The best by far (although expensive) are from Curmpler. Look for the Hard Suit, which is a low-profile padded sleeve with extra protection in the corners. Plus they look pretty cool too;

[​IMG]

9. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

10. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Some surprising places to look for sleeves are TJ Maxx & Marshall's - I got a Timbuk2 sleeve for $14, when retail was $30 at the time.

I also second the recommendation for the Speck Hard Case - very nice protection against scratches & dings.

Good luck & congrats on your new machine!

11. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Alright

Personally, while I understand that cases for the MBPro (or iPhone...) really protect the product, I personally don't like that it pretty much covers up your computer. It's definitely a personal opinion, but I never like my iPhone being covered up with some sort of leather/black case because I don't get to view it in all its beauty at all (I get a few scratches, but that's ok).

However, it seems like a majority of you support Booq laptop sleeves? I took a look, and the Vyper M3 looks like a nice sleeve, albeit slightly expensive.

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for a sleeve-like bag that is quite thin/light but provides a very basic amount of storage (At least the magsafe and a cable or two). So like a sleeve with an extra inch or two of pouches on it?

12. misterpasta macrumors member

sfbags.com

Excellent sleeve cases with minimal storage you asked for.

sfbags.com

13. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Alright...

SFBags seems interesting, anyone have any reviews for it?

14. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I was in your shoes just a few months ago. I was looking for a case that would protect my mbp and also offer some storage. I didnt want a large backpack style bag, but i wanted something that could serve as a stand alone case, and also fit inside my backpack when i had to travel. After buying and returning about 3 different cases I finally found what i consider to be the perfect case (at least for me.) It is the Incase Nylon Sleeve with Handles. The bag has two pockets for accessories like a charger or iPod charger and plenty of room for pens etc. There is also a back pocket that will hold a notebook and some papers. It is perfect for me and I think it would work very well for you as well.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TL998LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=Mjk5ODEyNA&p=3&s=topSellers

15. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Looks Good...

That one you recommended me seems almost perfect for my needs.

However, it's made for the 17" MBPro, so while my 15" will probably fit, will it be as protected? (Less snug? Or still OK?)

Also, some reviews say that the power adapter doesn't fit well in the bag? Is this true, because being able to carry the power adapter is definitely a requirement.

16. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Got it!

Sorry for the double post, but it seems I found the best bag for me.

Following up from what the person before me said, I surfed on Incase's site and found a similar bag made for the 15" MBPros. Named 15" Nylon Sleeve Plus, it fits my needs perfectly. It is small enough to act like a Sleeve if needed, but big enough to fit a Power adapter, usbs, and a pen if a bag is needed. And the form-factor seems amazing!

If anyone has needs like mine, take a look into that bag. It fits the requirements of being:
    • Pretty cheap in my opinion: ($60 directly from their site, $50 on Amazon, $45 from Apple Store)
    • Light Sleeve or Small Bag (It's both!)
    • Has space for power supply and some other junk, but not too much
    • Fits Macbook Pro 15"!

Places to buy:

17. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I keep mine in a homemade sleeve made from plastic bags.

Attached Files:

18. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Wow!

That's just hilarious!

19. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

It does get some laughs. But it really is quite durable when you fuse enough layers of plastic. It isn't really padding. But I'm comfortable using this and throwing it in my backpack.

20. Norco macrumors regular

That's what I have, and it does the job well. You can also find them at Best Buys... regarding scratching the laptop... the inside has a plush lining so when you put it in the bag it won't get scratched, and the zipper isn't tight up against the laptop, so I don't know how it can get scratched. Then again I haven't had a lot of scratching issues -- I read someone on the forums who scratched their laptop from a grain of rice, so maybe others are more talented at accomplishing that feat.

21. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Just a moment...

It does fit the new unibody macs right? (Like, snugly?). Looking at reviews and the images, it looks like it was designed for the old Macbook Pro, which now has a different for factor...

Anyone know?

22. PDE macrumors 68020

I was in a crumpler store a while back and they told me that certain colors of the hard suit fit the new unibody, while others did not. The crumpler site confirms this. Did you buy the case and, if you did, how does it fit? Any chance you could post some photos?

Love this case - amazing quality and great protection. Exactly what I want, but need to know that it will fit properly.

Thanks!

23. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Thats one funny sleeve.

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That is what you call, a poor mans sleeve. :)

25. pewex macrumors newbie

Did you finally bought this case ? I have MB unibody 13 and I`m planning to buy this case (13" model), but I`m afraid that it will be to big for my mac:(.

Regards,
    pewex