Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Best product: iPad
Accessory: AirPods (W1 chip)
Worst: MacBook 12 (one port / butterfly keyboard) tied with Apple Magic Mouse (design, comfort)

Complete agreement on the Magic Mouse. Those things give me massive carpal tunnel.

(I still insist on using the Mighty Mouse whenever possible. Whenever the track wheel starts having trouble, all it takes is a drop of machine oil and it’s good as new.)

My favourite Apple product of 2011-2019 has to be the iPad Pro 9.7”. It’s still plenty fast and shows no signs of being slowed down by iPadOS so far.

A close second for me is the 2016 13” MacBook Pro. In a dust-free environment the keyboard has had no problems. It can handily drive a 4k display in closed clam mode. It will continue to be my workhorse machine for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I think Macrumors should also have the biggest fails of the decade. There have been some massive ones, Siri, keyboards, mac pros, etc.

If this forum only highlights the good, then it becomes a propaganda tool for Apple. Keeping them honest, we should also really talk about Apple's failures, or else we will be living in dongle filled landfills forever!

I first read your post as “Macrumors was one of the biggest fails of the decade.” LOL. ?

Reactions: Soccertess

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Completely disagree on the 12” MacBook. I think we will see it return once Apple switches to ARM chips, albeit with the better keyboard. Apple lacks a true ultraportable now. Intel moved the Y chip from a 5W design to a 9W design, which now requires active cooling.
I thought the same. Will be using my 2017 12” i7 16GB 512GB as long as I can.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
The current app paradigm primarily consists of downloading an app to our smartphone, tablet, smartwatch, smart TV, or laptop / desktop. We then interact with the app to “pull” information and context at a time of our choosing. App notifications are not very smart and instead represent mostly useless distractions more than anything else.
The Apple Watch was the first device to genuinely begin questioning the current app paradigm. The Siri watch face on Apple Watch is all about providing the wearer glanceable amounts of information, data, and context in the form of cards chosen by a digital assistant. These cards are personalized to the wearer based on the time of day and schedule. In essence, we are moving away from pulling data from various apps to receiving a curated feed of data that is dynamic - always changing and tailored to our needs.
Apple is turning AirPods into the second platform built for what comes after the App Store. Instead of being about pushed snippets of information and data via a digital voice assistant, something that will likely remain ideal for mobile screens, AirPods will be all about augmenting our environment by pushing intelligent sound.

The article does not negate my assertion that wearables, at this point, are accessories. Really good accessories, no doubt, but still dependent on something else to feed each of them. You really cannot use AirPods in a standalone fashion. The Watch, on the other hand, has more potential for this, although it will still serve as a slave to a computer, whether it is an iPhone, iPad, or Mac (or, ahem, PC).

I think that perhaps, as the article suggests, the next decade will be when wearables become truly significant.

But for this decade about to close, I think the iPad takes the cake, given it legitimately setup an entirely new category of computing, form factor, and OS interaction (that augmented the work already done for iPhone).

Now that we know its history, we know that the truth is that the iPhone is and always has been a limited, downscaled iPad. Not the other way around.

Reactions: lyngo

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
This is a ridiculously lazy article. Some of the most maligned products are in this list. It’s basically a rehash of every product Apple released.
I think the problem is the title.

If they'd said "The most significant Apple products of the decade", then that would have been a bit more meaningful and interesting.

In most cases, the newest will be the "best", depending on who you ask of course.

For me, the "best" Apple product of each category today is thus:

Laptops: 16" MBP
Desktop: 2012 Mac Pro (STILL a flexible powerhouse) or Mac mini (if you want new and easy)
All-in-one: latest iMac 5K (iMac Pro is pointless now the Mac Pro is here)
Tablet: latest regular iPad (the Air and Pro are a waste, because they provide no real additional capabilities)
Watch: latest lower-end
AirPods: latest Pro
iPhone: 11 Pro

Note: I take "value" into consideration, as in price vs performance, in my opinions. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think the problem is the title.

If they'd said "The most significant Apple products of the decade", then that would have been a bit more meaningful and interesting.

In most cases, the newest will be the "best", depending on who you ask of course.

For me, the "best" Apple product of each category today is thus:

Laptops: 16" MBP
Desktop: 2012 Mac Pro (STILL a flexible powerhouse) or Mac mini (if you want new and easy)
All-in-one: latest iMac 5K (iMac Pro is pointless now the Mac Pro is here)
Tablet: latest regular iPad (the Air and Pro are a waste, because they provide no real additional capabilities)
Watch: latest lower-end
AirPods: latest Pro
iPhone: 11 Pro

Note: I take "value" into consideration, as in price vs performance, in my opinions. :)
Funny how you pick the most powerful devices except for the iPad. I think the Pro is actually significant because of the vibrant screen and the Face ID. Regarding notebooks, the 12” MacBook is still my favorite. I’d like to see it come back in some form. That said, the base 13” Pro is a good value (far better than the Air, IMO), and what I recommend to most people, with the appropriate storage option, of course. 128 GB isn’t enough for most.
As for most significant, I’d say the iPhone 5s, 6, and X. The 5s introduced 64-bit and Touch ID, and established Apple’s lead in mobile processors. The 6 and X brought new form factors, and the X brought Face ID.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Why iMessage???? Maybe in your country text messages are expensive? In Australia, every phone plan now comes with unlimited texts. Am I missing some advantage of iMessage?

End-to-end encryption and exclusive features. iMessage is one of the primary reasons I stay in the iOS ecosystem, as is the case for many other people as well.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
AirPods Are Becoming A Platform

The current app paradigm primarily consists of downloading an app to our smartphone, tablet, smartwatch, smart TV, or laptop / desktop. We then interact with the app to “pull” information and context at a time of our choosing. App notifications are not very smart and instead represent mostly useless distractions more than anything else.

The Apple Watch was the first device to genuinely begin questioning the current app paradigm. The Siri watch face on Apple Watch is all about providing the wearer glanceable amounts of information, data, and context in the form of cards chosen by a digital assistant. These cards are personalized to the wearer based on the time of day and schedule. In essence, we are moving away from pulling data from various apps to receiving a curated feed of data that is dynamic - always changing and tailored to our needs.

Apple is turning AirPods into the second platform built for what comes after the App Store. Instead of being about pushed snippets of information and data via a digital voice assistant, something that will likely remain ideal for mobile screens, AirPods will be all about augmenting our environment by pushing intelligent sound.
The article does not negate my assertion that wearables, at this point, are accessories.
This is exactly the kind of flawed thinking that Apple's competitors engage in, which enables Apple to continue building their lead.

Steve Jobs: “There’s an old Wayne Gretzky quote that I love. I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been. And we’ve always tried to do that at Apple.”

The years 2010-2019 will ultimately be remembered as the decade that Apple established their bridgehead to the future with the origins of their AirPods platform and Apple Watch platform.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I think Macrumors should also have the biggest fails of the decade. There have been some massive ones, Siri, keyboards, mac pros, etc.

If this forum only highlights the good, then it becomes a propaganda tool for Apple. Keeping them honest, we should also really talk about Apple's failures, or else we will be living in dongle filled landfills forever!

... Because people on macrumors don’t ever mention Apple’s failures... yea ok. Shoot, even in this article calls the butterfly keyboard a mistake. Give me a break. Maybe you are being sarcastic. You have a good idea for an article, but get real with the propaganda/“keeping them honest” talk.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That’s easy. Just link to Louis Rossman’s YouTube channel.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My favorite new products, in order:
  1. iPad
  2. Retina MBP
  3. 5K iMac
  4. AirPods
  5. Apple Watch
  6. Apple TV 4 (App Store)
Best iPhone: 2012 iPhone 5

Best iPad: 2018 12.9” iPad Pro

Best Mac: 2015 MBP 15”

Best Apple Watch: 2018 Series 4 44mm

Worst iPhone: 6 Plus

Worst iPad: Early 2012 (3rd gen)

Worst Mac: 2015 MacBook

Worst Apple Watch: 2015 Series 0

Predictions for the 2020s:
  • iPhone that unfolds into an iPad Mini but done well using magnets, glass, and sturdy new hinge design
  • Notch removal on iPhone
  • iPhone Pro with 90-120Hz ProMotion display
  • Macs with 120Hz ProMotion displays
  • Time of flight sensor for iPhone and iPad cameras to help with autofocus, AR, and computational photography (better portrait mode)
  • Face ID for Macs
  • Removal of physical charging jacks on iPhone (contact dots for repairs)
  • Removal of mute switch on iPhone
  • Apple Tags with AR for wireless tracking of objects and devices
  • Package bundles for services like Apple TV, Arcade, Music, News, iCloud, etc.
  • 14” MBP
  • Apple Display HDR (non-pro)
  • Apple designed CPU/GPU to debut in Macs, probably starting with the portable MacBooks
  • Newer display tech such as mLED making it into iPads, iPhones, Macs, Apple Watch, etc.
  • Apple branded over the ear headset called “AirPhones” and “AirPhones Pro” with ANC
  • Apple Drive driverless car system
  • 8K Apple Pro Display XDR
  • Apple Glasses augmented reality computing device and specialized arOS
  • Apple Search, search engine, minimal ads and no tracking, no ads if paid iCloud
  • Apple brings back the AirPort, possibly with new name, is very expensive and mesh on WiFi 6
  • Apple VPN service included with iCloud, also helps with parental controls online
  • Apple AirPower truly wireless charging system
  • Apple launches their first satellites into orbit
  • Apple starts their own bank for their Apple Card, maybe even have deposit accounts
  • Tim Cook retires around 2022 to 2023
  • Apple Air wireless service near end of decade or early 2030s

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
Not sure about having the 6 Plus on the list, Apple utterly ruined mine with iOS updates that slowed it down to an absolute crawl. I know lots of 6S users had problems but the 6 Plus seemed to be affected as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The iPhone 6s Plus was the best phone i reckon least because i still would use one.

I can see why people who get a bad reaction when the iPhone almost doubles in screen size, but your always gonna get that.. when it's "not as portable"

Well.. it may be not as portable, but that didn't stop us from getting one. It became the 'new popular'. did it. Kinda strange people actually "get one" when they think screen is too big, but oh well..(perhaps they had something else on their mind like Touch ID.)

Apple TV 4th gen still good today as Macbook Air (2017).

Still everything, i still like the big bezel-less display of the Macbook Pro (2016), but due to it having the Touchbar is preventing me from getting and using one.

Thanks allot !! :rolls eyes:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Anybody know off-hand the complete list of Apple products that support 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 ?

As far as I know, it' just the 2019 iPhones.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Finally got rid of my last Apple TV, replaced it with an Amazon Fire Stick. Since it plays Apple TV content it works for me.
Last Apple hardware product in my household to be retired. It's incredibly liberating. Apple has really jumped the shark, they need to get rid of Tim Coked.

• Disagree
Reactions: colinwil

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Bring back the cube.

Then nationalize Apple and give everyone an iPhone X and call it game over.

I want fully automated luxury iPhone X communism, and I want it now

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Finally got rid of my last Apple TV, replaced it with an Amazon Fire Stick. Since it plays Apple TV content it works for me.
Last Apple hardware product in my household to be retired. It's incredibly liberating. Apple has really jumped the shark, they need to get rid of Tim Coked.
Tim Cook isn’t going anywhere. For me, personally, using android is not liberating. But to each their own.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Echoing what many others have said, I can't believe the 2016 MacBook Pro is on this list. It's probably the most heavily criticized Apple product of the decade. Still, I respect that these lists are highly personal and I doubt you will agree with mine. ;) Here's my top 5!

1. iPhone X
2. 2nd generation MacBook Air (2010-2017)
3. AirPods
4. Apple Watch
5. iPad

1. The iPhone X. Unlike the iPhone 6, which was basically just playing catch-up with the larger screens of the Android-makers of the time, the iPhone X really reimagined the mobile phone much like the original iPhone had done before it. Whereas the iPhone 6 felt rather Android-like (to me), the iPhone X had Apple written all over it. From the premium edge-to-edge glass design, to the seamless software integration for swiping gestures, haptic feedback and Face ID - it was simply Apple at its very best. Definitely the best Apple product of the decade, in my opinion.

2. 2nd generation MacBook Air (2010-2017). I would argue that todays Apple laptops, while good, are all somewhat compromised. In terms of connectivity, or quality (keyboard comes to mind). The MacBook Air, when released in 2007 was also compromised. With the 2010-model and onwards, however, we got all the performance the average user would ever need, all the necessary ports (even an SD card slot) and a great trackpad and keyboard. It was a fully fledged, uncompromised laptop experience - all in a package that weighed just 1.35kg! I think the 2nd generation MacBook Air is the best laptop ever made, especially at its time.

3. AirPods. Once again Apple challenged themselves to make something truly great, by carefully considering everything that was wrong with wireless earphones of its time. Sure, wireless earphones had been around for ages - but no one had ever cracked it. The connectivity was unreliable, charging was inconvenient, and most so called "wireless" models even had cords hanging off them. AirPods changed all of that. They are one of those simple, yet life changing products that I couldn't live without.

4. Apple Watch. It was really difficult picking a "winner" between the Apple Watch and the iPad. None of them really sold me in the first place. Between its Mickey Mouse watch faces and questionable usability - I argued that the Apple Watch didn't make much sense.

Luckily, the watch evolved and eventually it could be used independently of the iPhone. Adding to that, Apple took a turn and shifted its focus from Mickey Mouse watch faces, to developing the Apple Watch as a health and fitness device. That's when it really swayed me. Mine has become a valuable companion that really motivates me to a healthier lifestyle outside of my 9-to-5 office cubicle. Also, there is something so futuristic about leaving my phone behind and still having Spotify playing in my ears or taking calls.
While I could probably live without the Apple Watch, it truly is an incredible piece of technology.

5. iPad. When Steve Jobs released the iPad, it was positioned to fill the gap between the iPhone and the laptop. Something it has been extremely good at. Still, it has only filled a small niche where it could be argued that you don't really need one.

In recent years, Apple has tried to position the iPad as a PC replacement. Regardless of how I've tried, it simply hasn't been able to. So, rather than trying to make the iPad into something it's not (for me), I appreciate the iPad for what it does. I find it to be an awesome consumption device, with fantastic displays, battery life and in the case of the most recent iPad Pros also fantastic speakers. Although the iPad is improving, thanks to iPadOS and the Apple Pencil and Keyboard, I still feel like Apple is just scratching the surface of what the iPad could be.

As a student, I remember looking with awe at Surface-users - being able to record lectures (video or audio), while taking notes in OneNote and jotting down equations with their Surface Pen. Something I couldn't do - either on my iPad or MacBook Air.

The iPad could also be a fantastic game device (something I'd argue that it isn't today). Or a personal organiser. Or a home hub. There is simply so much potential that Apple isn't taking advantage of, hence, it occupies fifth place in my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGM85 and B.A.T
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.