Best Application for note taking?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aramyth, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Aramyth macrumors newbie

I'm in my first year of college, this is my first MacBook. And I'm looking for an application that others would recommend for note taking.

I tried a trial version of Notebook, and I like the set up, but I can't figure out how to skip lines with it. It's frustrating.

I want something that is a little more than just taking notes in Pages or TextEditor.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I would recommend one of those fancy pens that tracks what you write. Really taking notes by hand is the best way to go. I would also recommend this:

Attached Files:

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Aramyth thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks pretty good.

As for taking notes in pen, it really depends on the individual. I'm going to try the laptop way and see how it goes; as I need to carry it around anyway.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's just better to use a real pen and paper as it'll help you remember what you wrote down better and you can't easily and quickly draw diagrams on a computer.

6. Retops macrumors regular

Aqua Minds NoteTaker

I use NoteTaker as my primary notetaking and organizing system for all the classes I teach. I like the notebook format and the ease of copying just about anything into a page.

7. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

8. Onay macrumors newbie

I second that. It seemed very basic to me until I started full use of the Multidex. It's an excellent tool, and the fact that you can search an entire notebook is great.

Just a side note though. I don't recommend taking notes on your computer for any math or science classes. If you're in an english lecture, then go ahead and take notes on your computer if it's faster. But sometimes you just can't beat the pen and the paper.

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I recommend the Pulse pen from Livescribe. I have been using one for 6 months and it is awesome. It captures audio + what you write / draw digitally. they have a Mac version of the desktop App. The main issue with note taking is typing / writing fast enough to capture what is said. The beauty of livescribe is that it captures the audio as well, so if you can't write it all down you just click on the text with the pen and it replays from that spot. You can use the desktop software to search for words (it has a basic form of handwriting recognition) and you can buy a 3rd Party plug in to convert handwritten notes to editable text. You can even upload your lecture notes to the web for others that might have missed the class to look and the notes and hear the lecture.

Its not cheap, but worth every penny (cent)

http://www.livescribe.com/

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Another vote for VooDoo Pad. I loved it, and drawing diagrams and things with the trackpad wasn't bad at all.

11. felt. macrumors 6502a

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What "more" are you looking for?