Best application for streaming talk/sport radio?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majordude, Nov 3, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I downloaded AOL radio but it isn't the greatest. Is there something better than this?

I don't care about music.

Like sports and news/talk.

2. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

FStream is free and has shoutcast, sourcemac, and itunes radio plus you can add your own streams.

The presets are under Favorites (top right) on FStream.

3. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Wunderadio, another app similar to the AOL app might work. It has stations all over. No clearchannel stations. They're making their own app.

Wunderadio will also take suggestions and add streams requested most of the time.

4. DigMe macrumors 6502

Does anyone know anywhere that I can get a stream of The Jim Rome Show?
    (I realize he's a polarizing kind of guy so let's just please keep the discussion focused on the topic)

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I was looking for MNF on the 'net last night and I came across a few sites that had statements to the effect that "our broadcast partners have requested that certain broadcasts not be aired over the internet... for Jim Rome go to jimrome.com and for MNF please visit nfl.com for a Field Pass."

So you may be out of luck.

6. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Since many sports and talk stations use WMA streams, you want either fstream or WunderRadio.

Fstream is free and more customizable but much buggier. WunderRadio is $5.99 but more stable and much easier to use. Both have ESPN as a preset station, which I believe carries Jim Rome. Otherwise, just look for you local station and stream that.
    That's only an issue during games. The stream should return once the game is done.

ETA: I may have misunderstood you. The message actually referred to Rome by name?

7. DigMe macrumors 6502

Oh that's cool...so Fstream can do Windows media streams? That would be no problem then because I can find plenty of windows media streams of the show.

8. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Yep. Just keep in mind that it's a free program with lots of bugs. Also, you will have to find out the addresses of the streams you want and program them manually. If you're not familiar with this process, WunderRadio really may be the way to go. For example, WunderRadio will let you search for stations (fstream doesn't) and will even give you a list of local stations based on your GPS location.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Use AOl radio or flycast and listen to WFAN New York, the best sports station in the nation.

10. bigmouth macrumors 6502

AOL and Flycast can't play WMA, which makes them pretty much useless to serious sports fans. But I have to admit, I still listen to...Sports Radio 66...the Fan(!)...WFAN New York. This despite no more Mad Dog...

11. DigMe macrumors 6502

That shouldn't be a problem.

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Remember that some sports talk is available as podcasts, as long as you don't care about being able to call in. I listen to Dan Patrick, PTI, Soccernet, World Soccer Daily all on podcasts. It's nice to listen to them when you want and not just when they air.

13. DigMe macrumors 6502

I like to listen to Jim Rome live because he has read many of my emails on-the-air in the past. :)

14. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

On AOL Radio I found Houston Sports Radio 610, which plays the show, and I think it sounds pretty good even over edge on my 2g. If you hadn't heard anything yet hopefully that helps

15. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

For Clearchannel, use iheart radio.

Otherwise, WunderRadio is awesome.

16. DigMe macrumors 6502

Thanks. This is much better than fstream. It streams fine over Edge when I don't get 3G. fstream did not.

17. iFORNICATOR macrumors newbie

iFORNICATOR

Thanks

Originally Posted by KUKitch
    On AOL Radio I found Houston Sports Radio 610, which plays the show, and I think it sounds pretty good even over edge on my 2g. If you hadn't heard anything yet hopefully that helps

THANK YOU!!!! i looked everywhere for one and it was right under my nose the whole time. You have made my workday much better.

KUKitch you are the shizzzzz