Best application for tracking total broadband usage?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sparkie7, Aug 10, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68010

sparkie7

I use iStat Pro and iStat Menus.. pretty good. But wondered is there a more comprehensive app or utility out there? Want to track TOTAL incoming an outgoing traffic

Any suggestions? TIA :D

2. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

are you aimed at just your computer itself?

surplus meter seems to be the only resource that keeps inbetween restarts.

http://www.skoobysoft.com/utilities/utilities.html#surplusmeter

you can always go 3rd party firmware on routers like DDWRT or Tomato for better logging of total network bandwidth across all computers.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If you have a linux based router such as a Linksys. You can load third party firmware that allows you to meter at the router. All applications I have seen have to run on each client.

Metering at the router covers your usage from iPhones, video gaming systems etc as well as the Macs.

Its criminal (or close to it) that an ISP that limits you does not provide an easy to reach web based meter of your usage.

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Thanks for the skoobysoft link. Seems it only measures traffic on an individual machine basis? I like its daily/monthly limit warning feature. Would be perfect for people who only have ONE mac connected. Problem is I have 4 macs. And 2 of these get a lot of internet use, while the other 2 get occasional use :(

Mucking around with firmware meters at the router level sounds like a chore :cool:

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Billion router, not sure if its linux based. My ISP has an online reference of usage. But I want to measure it at my end. Just to management it better and on call, rather than have to mess with logins and passwords each time to get into the ISP's online meter page

6. btownguy macrumors 6502a

The only way to do this reliably is at the router level. You need a linux-based router. The common Linksys WRT54G was linux-based on versions 1-4. Versions 5-6 are not linux-based, but the newer WRT54GL is linux-based (L for linux).

Once you have a linux-based router, download and install DD-WRT on it. There is a bandwidth screen where you can see daily/monthly total bandwidth usage (incoming and outgoing). Incredibly handy.

DD-WRT is great. Another benefit is that it has a built-in SSH daemon that you can use to tunnel web traffic through when you're away from your home and would like your web browsing to be private.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

9. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for this thread. i'm using Sprint mobile broadband with internet sharing over WiFi to get the connection to other computers.

so this is perfect for me.