Best Application to capture desktop videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by westam, May 9, 2010.

1. westam macrumors member

westam

Hi Guys,

can i get your recommendations for a good and cheap desktop capture software. Specifically i want to record footage of an iphone emulator running an my app.

Thanks!!

Wes

2. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

personally ->

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowuhd/main.html

there are a few others i tried in the past but not sure how they're doing these days..

snapz and screenium(beta)

i recently saw that camtasia has a mac version now so that one might be worth checking out.. a lot of windows users seem to like it.

3. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

If you have snow leopard just use the built-in screen recorder in Quicktime X :) it works wonders.

4. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Yeah for just basic/simple desktop recording Quicktime X will do or here's a free alternative DesktopRecorder

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Quicktime X is good....but the options in iShowU are outstanding, the video is very good quality as is the audio right through the built in mic, and the video on the iShowU compresses while maintaining a good resolution much better for some reason.

6. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I have to agree that for recording anything that has a lot of motion or video I've found ScreenFlow to be the best. Great application.

7. westam thread starter macrumors member

westam

Thanks for all your recommendations, I ended up getting ScreenFlow as a few of you have suggested! it's worked great!!

8. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Try Jing. The free version can make a 5 minute .swf movie, but the paid version can do other formats.

oops! I see you've found a solution already. Great!