Best application to quickly cut video files

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
Disclaimer: I am a complete novice when it comes to video editing.

The purpose of my videos is mostly documenting motorcycle and snowboarding adventures I occasionally have. So I have lots of footage from a couple of GoPro cameras, but only a tiny fraction of it is of any interest. I tried using iMovie and Final Cut X, and while they aren't half bad when it comes to putting together a whole sequence and adding soundtracks, etc., sometimes I find myself wanting to do a quick "pre-cut" and dump the boring bits to free up space before I have enough time to do a full edit and make something worth sharing.

For example, I may have a 50 min 4GB file that contains 4-5 interesting episodes, each 1-2 minutes long at most. After a week of travelling and shooting I may have a dozen of such files, and it may be a very long time until I have gone through it all and finalized my edit. Is there any way to efficiently cut the interesting sections without any loss of quality and put them away until I get a chance to work with them? Several apps I tried take a huge amount of time to transcode the video, and often end up crashing before successfully saving a slice.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure iMovie/FCPX has a button that'll delete all of the unused footage, but I'm not sure how this works, not sure if that's what you're asking.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
If you really just want to cut out a few scenes from a long video, I have tried "Video Trim", which is very simple and easy to use, plus it will trim out the original media stream without any loss or reencoding. It'll cost you a few bucks in the Mac App Store (in Germany, it is 4.50 euros), but I like its simplicity a lot.

Maybe that's what you are looking for?

They also make a slightly more advanced version called "Video Edit" that includes some simple cropping and effects, and you can mark multiple regions that will be exported as one consecutive clip.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.