Best application to quickly cut video files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by themumu, Dec 30, 2013.

1. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Disclaimer: I am a complete novice when it comes to video editing.

The purpose of my videos is mostly documenting motorcycle and snowboarding adventures I occasionally have. So I have lots of footage from a couple of GoPro cameras, but only a tiny fraction of it is of any interest. I tried using iMovie and Final Cut X, and while they aren't half bad when it comes to putting together a whole sequence and adding soundtracks, etc., sometimes I find myself wanting to do a quick "pre-cut" and dump the boring bits to free up space before I have enough time to do a full edit and make something worth sharing.

For example, I may have a 50 min 4GB file that contains 4-5 interesting episodes, each 1-2 minutes long at most. After a week of travelling and shooting I may have a dozen of such files, and it may be a very long time until I have gone through it all and finalized my edit. Is there any way to efficiently cut the interesting sections without any loss of quality and put them away until I get a chance to work with them? Several apps I tried take a huge amount of time to transcode the video, and often end up crashing before successfully saving a slice.

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure iMovie/FCPX has a button that'll delete all of the unused footage, but I'm not sure how this works, not sure if that's what you're asking.

3. floh, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

floh macrumors 6502

If you really just want to cut out a few scenes from a long video, I have tried "Video Trim", which is very simple and easy to use, plus it will trim out the original media stream without any loss or reencoding. It'll cost you a few bucks in the Mac App Store (in Germany, it is 4.50 euros), but I like its simplicity a lot.

Maybe that's what you are looking for?

They also make a slightly more advanced version called "Video Edit" that includes some simple cropping and effects, and you can mark multiple regions that will be exported as one consecutive clip.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can also Trim using Quicktime via the EDit menu.

5. floh macrumors 6502

Hey, I did not know that. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Nothing fancy, but good to know!