Best Approach

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TomT321, Nov 1, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

I bought a Mac Mini about 3 weeks ago, about 8 days prior to the release of the new models and wasn't all that upset as I am a very basic user, surfing, e-mail and some letter writing on Text Edit. However now I have discovered that there is a problem with my unit and at the very least the audio jack is malfunctioning and I suspect other problems ie: the font will not stay at the selected size, and I have to insert and re-insert discs at least a couple of times before they are being read. I checked with an Apple Tech and he told me that the problem(s) do seem to stem from a hardware issue and told me to return the unit to the Apple store I bought it from for repair or replacement. Obviously I would prefer to have the older unit replaced with the brand new model. Not used to working with Mac so wondering if there are any suggestions on how I approach this issue to achieve the best results?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's going to get repaired, unless it is deemed that the unit is "totaled" or after three consecutive issues, a lemon law takes into affect. Just be nice and cordial.

3. zbasarab macrumors member

When I bought my aluMB last february it worked fine. 3 weeks into it I started having problems. eventually apple tech told me to return it to the store I bought it (due to a defect) and told them to just give me a brand new unit.

So, I suspect if you really press on the issue, you can have your computer exchanged for a brand new one since you've had it only for a few weeks (as opposed to having it repaired and mailed).

But i don't know if they would give you the NEW model or the exact model you have.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd advise against this, don't irritate the store managers, that will only make things worse in the long run.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Apple Store returned $200 (MBA price-drop 2008) to my card on day 28 of ownership.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Any particular reason why?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wouldn't we all?

If talking to a Genius in person doesn't work, try calling their support line. I've found the phone people to be much more helpful (or at least more consistent) than the Geniuses.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I politely stated my concern over the SSD model dropping $200 within a month of purchase.

I was just giving the OP hope that they cooperate a month out...

9. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Fixed

Well when I took the unit into the store they told me there would be a 3 to 5 day turn around for the repair. When I asked about a replacement they looked at me like I was from Mars and said that only Apple could authorize a replacement. When I called Apple they called the store (which by the way I found out is only a authorized retailer not an actual Apple Store per se) and they did an instant analysis and claimed it was a loose connection and "fixed" it on the spot. I also found out that they did not have any of the new units in stock anyway so they could not have just swapped it out even if it had been approved. So it is fixed and I guess I am back in business.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

With all do respect, you would know when you're in THE APPLE STORE. Did you really expect a 3rd-party outfit to hand you a new computer?