Best APPS? And how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by granka, Sep 18, 2007.

1. granka macrumors member

So I've had my iPhone for about a month and a half now and have held off on installing any of the APPS that are floating around out there. I am happy to say hat I am ready to explore and try some of these apps out. So here are my two MAIN questions.

What are the BEST apps out there for the iPhone right now? One I am really intrested in is the NES emulator

This is probably the most important of the two questions, how exactly do you install these apps on the phone?

I would definetly appreciate all the help that can be givin, and please bare with me i'm a slow learner so if you could also post some instructions for me if you decide to post.

Thanks s much in advance

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

Easiest way is to google apptap for mac or pc. Instructions are included, but basically plug iphone to computer, run apptapp, wait for program to run; what it does is place Installer.app on your phone. Follow the instructions on the screen, it is more detailed than I am. After it completes, you will have an Installer icon on your phone screen (springboard). From here, you will have a list of programs to install. First install Community Sources. You will now have a much longer list of programs to choose from to install. The rest you can probably figure out since it is pretty detailed on instructions, and im typing this on my iphone and auto correct isnt working. Good luck!

3. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

I have already tried what you suggested above and it does not work on a consistent basis.

4. shk718 macrumors 65816

5. oseary macrumors member

I looooooove the apps. Summerboard is a must for customization, as is the dock swap due to the ability to customize the dock even more. I love the NES emulator, but to be real honest, it's an emulator that uses buttons that have no feeling. e.g. you're running along with Mega Man, but you can't feel the buttons under your fingers. It's similar to the people who complained about the keyboard while typing--which r0x by the way.

Zelda's pretty awesome on it though. :p It'll take a few games getting used to there not being any buttons.

I have ApolloIM for when I absolutely HAVE to connect to my AIM user while away from my MacBook, I also have MobileChat just to piddle with.

I let my gf put the aquarium, ipong and Lights Off games, Lights is addicting but pong sucks--imo. Tic Tac Toe is also fun, but there is no computerized A.I., so one strategy can be used a million times over with no adjustment from the computer.

On the utilities side, I have stumbler, mainly for the reason of seeing how many hidden wireless networks there are--wal-mart has like 60.

You'll need BSD for some apps, OpenSSH for SSH'ing in (to install ROMS for your NES), and the kb tweak is a must--for killing that god awful auto-correct. rSBT allows you to rearrange yer springboard and dock, which is handy. And just for fun, the OS X wallpaper pack. :D

But yea, google it, as I googled (i love how googling is now a verb): "gizmodo, iphone, no hacking required." And it brought up a guide for the installer. The cool thing is now, is that no command line stuff is needed.

SSH via Cyberduck (on a Mac) is the easiest way to "hack in" and edit the strings if you want to change the "slide to unlock" or whatever, also the carrier logos, theme additions (that aren't DL'd via installer) and ringtones.

Hope that helped!