Best Apps. For OS X

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I am wondering what our fellow MR members think are the best Apps for OS X. I am looking to get some more software for my Mac and I would like your
advice.

I own the following:

Toast 6
Adobe ImageReady CS
Adobe Photoshop CS
Virtual PC 7 (With Windows XP Pro.)
Microsoft Office for Mac (2004)
iLife 05

I am not going to be doing web developing. I also have the basic Apps that came with my iMac G5 that I bought in December. :)

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....what software you should *buy* depends on what you are looking to do with your Mac....tell us what it is you want to do that you do no0t have the software for and we can then recommend a tool for the job.

Having said that, no matter what you are doing you should have a good utility or two around...buy yourself a copy of Diskwarrior - it is one of those things you'll be glad you have should the need arise. Also, you should be looking into some kind of backup strategy for all your data...what software you use depends on what kind of strategy and media you go with....oh yeah!

Comment

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
synergy for itunes... once you use it, its hard to use itunes without it... well worth the $5 fee.

also unison is really awesome if you like to read newsgroups... the best reader i've ever used.

netnewswire lite is also good until safari 2 gets here, and its free.

delicious library is also a fantastic app if you have a large media collection... i'm absolutely in love with this app!!

thats all i can think of right off hand...

Comment

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
sjpetry said:
I am wondering what our fellow MR members think are the best Apps for OS X. I am looking to get some more software for my Mac and I would like your
advice.

I own the following:

Toast 6
Adobe ImageReady CS
Adobe Photoshop CS
Virtual PC 7 (With Windows XP Pro.)
Microsoft Office for Mac (2004)
iLife 05

I am not going to be doing web developing. I also have the basic Apps that came with my iMac G5 that I bought in December. :)
Qiucksilver
Handbrake
Geektools
Forty-Two

Comment

raddsigns

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
Minnesota
Can't live without SideTrack on my PowerBook
SizzlingKeys for iTunes - hotkeys, etc
DiskWarrior
FileChute
Carbon Copy Cloner

Comment

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
it depends on what you want to do!

My personal fav apps (excluding what comes bundled) are the Adobe Creative Suite (Pro), Keynote, netnewswire. But they reflect what my major needs are...

Comment

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
This has been covered before, in two threads.

One thread covered freeware, one covered "payware." Look around for them.

Comment

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....what software you should *buy* depends on what you are looking to do with your Mac....tell us what it is you want to do that you do no0t have the software for and we can then recommend a tool for the job.

Having said that, no matter what you are doing you should have a good utility or two around...buy yourself a copy of Diskwarrior - it is one of those things you'll be glad you have should the need arise. Also, you should be looking into some kind of backup strategy for all your data...what software you use depends on what kind of strategy and media you go with....oh yeah!
I guess I met what are your favorite Apps, and if you could recommend any I should get. I would also like to get some apps for music editing. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.