Best apps for Uni?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mirai 11, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Had the first few days of Uni, but i want some good apps to take notes from. I don't see Pages as a great tool for that, only Reports and Essays.
    Any recommendations would be great :)

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Circus Ponies Notebook, Pages is fine, Evernote
    Personally I used Microsoft Word 2011 with the notebook layout for summer school and it was fine.

3. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I agree too, I take my notes with pen and paper during the school year but some people have other circumstances. Maybe OP types faster than they handwrite? I found that I had a lot of time to collect my thoughts after I typed my notes for a month.

4. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

I used Evernote for taking notes whilst reading, and a pen and paper for seminars and lectures. I tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone running the Evernote app, but it didn't really work out as well as I'd hoped, so I just started taking my laptop with me again.

Pages was pretty good for typing up essays and reviewing trackback changes for draft chapters of my dissertation, but with my MA thesis (which was much longer) I really wished I'd used something like Scrivener from the very start.

I also found Prizmo to be pretty handy for my iPhone for collecting quotations from books and articles —*you take a photo of the page(s) using the phone's camera, and the app can then optimise the image, run an OCR process to convert it to text and then save it to Evernote.