Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I really want to take full advantage of the widgets that are usable through iOS 8; however I do not know which apps include a good widget that will add benefits to my iPhone 6. Any recommendations? Whether it be weather, calendar, to do lists... Etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Be careful there. Very easy to get all caught up in this widget stuff and end up spending a small fortune. Don't let the way something looks overpower its function. Developers know people want this, just give them time to push out their updates.

Saying that, I like UpWord Notepad (it's free, but don't let the IAP scare you away). It's kinda like Mailbox for notes. And I like it because it's less limiting than Clear and Wunderlist. The widget is pretty cool too. You can actually click on it and organize your list right on the Today screen.

If you're going to splurge on something now, I'd recommend the Agenda, Forecast, and Paste widgets bundle by Avanio Labs. They're definitely worth the money.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sports Center app also has a great widget! Very customizable as well.
Somewhat customizable certainly, but still lacking some things.

I'm actually finding that the Yahoo! Sports one might be better in some ways.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iMonitor offers an interesting system information widget.

Calendars and Calendar 5 apps offer a nice calendar (and reminders in case of Calendar 5) widget that finally shows full day events.

There are also some generic widget apps that offer information or small tools, like Widget and Wdgts apps.

And with Launcher being pulled from the App Store a few similar widget apps still seem to be there, like Quick-Tap and Quickiee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.