Best automatic lyric fetching solution for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm looking for an automatic lyric fetcher (app/widget ... i don't care)

Google gives me a LOT of results, so I'd like to narrow it down to the favourites of the people on here (which usually are my favourites as well)

Any suggestions?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

PearLyrics is nice; I'm not sure if it's still available though. It was hit with a DMCA threat, even though it was basically a frontend for Google. These people make no sense. The developer went public and they eventually caved, but he decided to stop development anyway.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Just checked it out ... according to the website, it's no longer available for download. Is there anyone who has the app/widget and can send it over?

On a sidenote: is there an app for Mac that just scans your ENTIRE iTunes library and downloads all the lyrics into iTunes directly, instead of just fetching the lyrics for the current playing song?

Thanks in advance

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Thanks for the PM!
    I just installed the widget and gave it a test run, but it doesn't even seem to be half as good as people make it out to be, is it?
    It can't even find the lyrics to really popular songs in my iTunes library ...

Or am I doing something wrong?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It seems to work fine here. I never pull it up, though, just let it fill in my iTunes lyrics for me. It's possible that it's no longer compatible with iTunes and what I'm seeing is what it added to previous versions... :confused:

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

This screenshot of the widget illustrates what's wrong very well ...

I mean, if it can't even find that one :p

Attached Files:

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This is what I see, but it seems to be pulling the lyrics from iTunes itself.

Attached Files:

8. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm currently at school (through a proxy) so it might be the network over here that's causing the problem ... I'll try again when I get home in a couple of hours and report back.

Cheers

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm not sure what new things are out, especially on leopard, but my experience with lyric fetching things wasn't the best, a lot of times it failed to get anything, so I went with a new route: Applescript.

Doug's applescripts for iTunes is what I use. I found a script to Search Google for lyrics. When activated, it opens the web browser and searches google for the lyrics of the current song that is playing.

I then click on a link that I trust to have the proper lyrics, highlight the text on the page, copy -- then I run This script which takes what I have copied in the clipboard -- and automatically pastes it to the lyrics section of the song.

The clipboard to multi-track script also serves a dual purpose. I use it automatically to append lyrics to single songs, but I can also select multiple tracks that are the same (live versions, covers, etc..), and have it paste the same lyrics to each file simultaneously.

It seems like a lot of work, but not if you have a program to setup hotkeys to run them. I use keyboard Maestro to setup the following:

command+1 - Searches google for lyrics

F13 - Activates iTunes, selects the current playing track, and runs the script to paste lyrics to that file. The reason I have it select the current song is to stop from accidentally having another file selected aside from the one playing.

If I didn't have that safeguard, I could search lyrics for the track that's playing, and paste those lyrics to an entirely different track by accident. If I need to use the script for multiple tracks as it's designed for -- I just click the applescript menu in the iTunes task bar (right before the help menu) and select the script itself -- doing so runs just the script, and not the other actions that the hotkey runs before executing the script.

10. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Tried your workflow, but this isn't really doing it for me ... thanks for the suggestion though!
    I want a slightly more automated process, so I don't have to worry about it and the lyrics get taken care of in the background ... if that's even possible.

So far, I tried: Harmonic, Sing that iTune, PearLyrics and iClip Lyrics ... none of them work properly

11. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

@i.shaun: because you recommended the website, I had another look on Doug's Applescripts and I found this one

It's basically a script that automatically takes care of what you're doing manually ... all you have to do is trigger the script and approve the lyrics by clicking OK ... (no more manually looking for lyrics and copying them)

This is working for me ... until something better & more polished arrives :p (a call to all developers haha)

12. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Interesting. . It's been a while since I browsed the site, it must be new. I actually was trying to edit the google search script for lyric wiki and other sites like sing365, but I couldn't seem to get it right.

edit: Automated services can only do so much, sometimes it requires human input, which is why I did it more manually. I tried the same things you did, but some songs are hard to get lyrics to, and some don't seem to exist lol.

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm loving Album Art Thingy. It's main purpose is to download album art but it works flawlessly for lyrics as well. Great app!

14. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Wow, that one works pretty well ...
    One concern though ... I already supplied all my music with album art myself, it won't overwrite my images with new ones right?

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

According to the app's documentation:

When iTunes is playing, Album Art Thingy monitors the tracks you're listening. When it finds a track without album art it goes to the internet, retrieves the artwork, and saves it to iTunes for that track and any others from the same album.

You shouldn't have any problems with preexisting album art being overwritten. I haven't and I, too, was worried about it at first.

16. reubs macrumors 68000

What a timely thread! I need something to replace PearLyrics, too, since it seems to have kicked off. It's served me well for a while, but I guess it has stopped getting lyrics altogether even though it tries to connect (LittleSnitch notifies that it's indeed trying to connect, but it never finds anything...)

I'll try out Album Art Thingy; thanks!

EDIT: Actually, 15 bucks is more than I'm willing to pay for a lyric fetcher. Thanks anyway!

17. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

A few minutes ago, Album Art Thingy and the Harmonic widget both stopped working for me...

This text is being displayed:

Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions from some of the major music publishers we can no longer return lyrics through the LyricWiki API (where this application gets some or all of its lyrics).

The lyrics for this song can be found at the following URL:
    http://lyricwiki.org/The_Gossip:Heavy_Cross

(Please note: this is not the fault of the developer who created this application, but is a restriction imposed by the music publishers themselves.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Any alternatives?

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'll have to see if Harmonic is doing that to me when I get home.

19. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

CantoPod is doing it as well ...

I guess we have to look for a solution that doesn't involve lyricwiki.org from now on

20. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

The Applescripts from Doug don't work anymore either because they use lyricwiki.org

21. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

22. Project7 macrumors member

Project7

Alternatives?

++ all the songs that have the lyrics with information saying LyricWiki isn't supporting it anymore.
    They're stuck like that aren't they... unless I manually remove/replace them.
    Because Lyric widgets usually just search when there is nothing in the 'lyrics' field, am I right?

Thanks,
    P7.