Best Avenue for returning potential stolen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SuperCompu2, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Hi all,

I'd like to preface this with a small disclaimer; I am in no way an "ACTIVATION LOCK OMG" person, and I respect the barriers Apple have put in place in the name of device safety.

That being said, I have recently come across an iPad that I bought originally to fix another. It was sold as "Not working/parts only" on eBay, with no hint it was even working (I needed the case parts).

To my surprise, it shows up and is "perfectly fine" to the eye. It powers on, says "Hello" in typical iOS 7 fashion, and proceeds to tell me that it is activation locked to an account H*****@g*****.com. This was surprising to me, but I figure as I bought it sight-unseen, I couldn't really complain.

Before I tear this thing apart to use for parts, I figured it would be worth a shot to see if I (or anyone else) could recover anything useful enough to get in touch with a potential previous owner who may have lost this or had it stolen. I'm kind of far from Apple stores, but I wouldn't be opposed to making a trip into one if I were conveniently nearby.

I looked at an IMEI lookup site that supposedly catalogs stolen devices, and this did not show up there.

My question is: Is an Apple store the only place I can check to see if this is stolen, as I bought it off eBay? Is there any other site I could try?

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

...have you thought about emailing them? You have their email address...

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No, Apple doesn't give the email address on the Activation Lock screen, it would literally show "H*****@g*****.com" and nothing more.

Also, OP, Apple has no database of stolen devices, so there is really no way to tell. I bet all they would tell you is "If you think a device is stolen, please report it to the local police".

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it doesn't show up as stolen via it's serial number, a quack call to Apple should verify it's not stolen...Maybe the guy who sold it to you genuinely could not get it to work...could have been U/S when it left him and something got knocked in transit. As suggested, try contacting the email address you have for the account. Should be fairly easy to discover if it's a stolen item not reported or not.

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I stand corrected then! :eek:

6. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Correct, I literally see the redacted email address and nothing more.

I was thinking of calling Apple, perhaps I'll try later today. I was thinking of Chatting as well, but they now charge for chat service out of warranty.

Thanks for the responses so far. I suppose I was hoping there would be some central database of stolen devices, but oh well.

(P.S., the listing for the iPad didn't seem sketchy at all, so it very well may be legitimately locked by accident/honest means)

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You should file an eBay claim today and get your money back. Simple

8. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

It's not quite that simple, as I bought it as "Not working/parts only". Technically, for the uses I had intended, the iPad is perfectly fine (tearing the case off and transplanting on another scuffed/dented one).

Plus, I didn't spend much money on it, so I'm not feeling "scammed". Had I blown the cost of a working iPad, then we'd have an issue.

Just thought I could do some good if I had the opportunity!

9. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have to think stolen property (working or not) is grounds to file (and win) a ebay claim.

I think you should file a dispute just out of general principal, to get a seller of stolen goods kicked off of ebay for the benefit of others.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The seller has provided stolen goods. Grounds for a claim. The second you mention the activation lock the funds will be refunded.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It may have been lost, not stolen. If I lost mine, I would lock it too.