Best B&W Laser Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SubaruNation555, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I currently have an HP Photosmart C3180. As I student I am doing lots of text printing and the C3180 uses its black cartridge very fast and at $13 a pop it's getting old replacing it so often.

So I am looking for a cheap B&W laser printer at or around the $100 mark. Speed isn't an issue, just want something cheap, reliable and good on ink. I have been looking at the Brother 2140-it's on sale at Staples.com for $80.

Any recommendations?

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I haven't looked at a BW Laser in 10 yrs but I had a $250 Brother in 1995. It made the best looking docs you've ever seen and the toner cartridge lasted for ages. Good luck.

3. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I picked up a Brother HL2070N about a year and half ago for $99.00 on Amazon, I've seen it for this price a few times since then. It's not that right now, but it's an outstanding printer. I'm still on the "beginner" cartridge and drum and am on my 6 ream of paper... It produces documents as good or better than the $1500 printers at work.

So, I'd recommend the Brother as well.

Coachingguy

4. rjp macrumors regular

2140 versus 2170 PCL6 or GDL?

I am looking at the same printers and would appreciate any info you guys find.

Here's what I've found so far,

The Brother HL 2140 is a GDL printer.
    The Brother HL 2170 is a PCL6 printer.

Is there any advantage to one protocol over the other?

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

I have one, too, and I'm very happy with it. I'm using the Ethernet connection to my AEBS to share wirelessly in our household. My wife prints with no problems on her company Dell notebook (yuck). I print from my iMac, MacBook and iBook. Our kids also print to it when they visit us.

It's been trouble-free. Good price on toner at Amazon.

6. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

We have a HP 1200 and while it's good it can be expensive.

I've seen and heard a lot of good things about Brother printers, so I say yes too! Also you can buy them a lot of times with sales at Staples.