Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I sure as hell don't feel like paying $80 for the silicone back cover that Apple has. Anyone have any good alternatives?

I honestly don't know if there are any decent compatible ones. Being real with you, though, the Apple one is super slick and worth every penny IMO.

IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG

Reactions: Jax44

Lchupacabras

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016

Bought and am using this cover alongside the ASK and, I have to say, it's really very nice. I really like the TPU material around the outside of it, which is very grippy plus comfortable when you're just holding the IPP, and the hard plastic of the back seems to be pretty durable. It's thin, light, and the cutouts/buttons are all accurate and functional.

I actually started buying ESR brand accessories first when I bought an almost-identical iPad Mini 4 case with a built-in Smart Cover. I really enjoy that case but I wasn't a fan of the materials they used for Smart Cover portion of it so I decided to get the version without the front time time around and am very happy I did.

Hope that helps!

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Holy crap that might be perfect. AND it holds the Apple Pencil?!
I thought you were speaking about the one on Amazon. The switcheasy I considered but thought the placement of the apple pencil was awkward.

Also there are inexpensive cases on Amazon that have covers and nice backs. I think it was the Flinti that I successfully removed the cover to use as a back for the IPP

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnwebster79

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I just ordered one of these. Thanks for the great suggestions, I hope it's a good choice!
I bought one and it started developing cracks in two of the corners after using it for two months. I ended up getting the Apple silicone case.

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Bar none, this case is the best plastic back I've seen. It feels great, is very high quality, and worth the price.

http://www.moshi.com/es/iglaze-for-ipad-pro#xt

Edit: this link is in Spanish? No idea why.
[doublepost=1456542813][/doublepost]
Holy crap that might be perfect. AND it holds the Apple Pencil?!
I purchased one of these and promptly sent it back. The pencil case is a pain if you ever want to use your iPad in portrait orientation on a flat surface. What's more, the flat piece you can replace the pencil holder with does not fit well...

I suggest the Moshi iGlaze and perhaps a sleeve with a pencil pocket, like the SF bags offerings.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I bought one and it started developing cracks in two of the corners after using it for two months. I ended up getting the Apple silicone case.
I've had three Cover Buddy cases. Two were great but the one for my iPad 4 developed cracks in the corners. As did the replacement they sent me.

I'd still buy one if Apple made the keyboard in other colors.

As it is, I'm really happy with the Apple silicone case. It's so well made and a pleasure to use.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
Bought and am using this cover alongside the ASK and, I have to say, it's really very nice. I really like the TPU material around the outside of it, which is very grippy plus comfortable when you're just holding the IPP, and the hard plastic of the back seems to be pretty durable. It's thin, light, and the cutouts/buttons are all accurate and functional.

I actually started buying ESR brand accessories first when I bought an almost-identical iPad Mini 4 case with a built-in Smart Cover. I really enjoy that case but I wasn't a fan of the materials they used for Smart Cover portion of it so I decided to get the version without the front time time around and am very happy I did.

Hope that helps!

I just got in the ESR case and I love the combo with the ASK. It looks nice. I've also ordered the Moxie Magnetic sleeve for my pencil. I would order the Apple Case if it came in more colors....I really don't like the choice of just white or gray. I'm hoping they will release some more colors soon. If not I will wait for more designers to come out with nicer cases that are ASK compatible. The ESR case looks nice and you can't beat the 10.99 price - and it's Amazon Prime.

CHeers,
Bobbie

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Ok, so it probably won't offer the protection you'll likely want, but I always use a skin on the back of my iPads. Used to use Zagg years ago but for the past few years I've been using ScreenKnight and they're great.

I've just fitted one on my iPad Pro, I like them because they don't add weight or bulk which is great for the Pro, keep the iPad scratch free, it'll work with any smart keyboard/cover and the iPad looks as good as it does naked. And they last well, I fitted one to my iPad Air 2 when I got it and a year and a half later when I sold it before getting my Pro, it still looked as good as the day I fitted it.

I always take out AppleCare+ so I'm not worried if I drop it and break it and I do keep a case on standby for when I know I'm going to need the occasional bit of extra protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.