Best back cover for iPad 2 to go along with smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by splatman85, Jul 30, 2012.

1. splatman85, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

splatman85 macrumors member

Went ahead and got a frost Zum for $9.95 on Amazon...is this a good choice or is there better?
    Convinced my mom to get an iPad and she went for the 2 and a smart cover combo...figured she'd need a back at least for extra protection.

2. RenoG macrumors 65816

From my understanding its the best on the market right now. (well wait, the ZUM SC ultimate is) because it has the locking feature for the smart cover, it that the one you have?

3. splatman85 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's the same one that I got. Guess it was a great deal for the price then.

4. phishie macrumors newbie

I wish there was a thin/slim back cover that had a hinge lock like the ZUM and magnetic strips like Incase Magnetic Snap case. (I'm not a fan of adding 3M magnetic strips to the back of my iPad.)

5. docprego macrumors 65816

I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on this yet, it seems so obvious. Yet every back shell that comes out seems to lack either the smart cover lock or the smart cover magnet on the rear of the shell.

I keep wondering who will release the perfect back shell?

6. splatman85 thread starter macrumors member

Right...Devicewear and Speck also have magnets but no hinge lock :/

7. docprego macrumors 65816

Yep. Whichever addresses both will dominate the market.

8. esquire415, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

esquire415 macrumors newbie

esquire415

I've always wondered about this. I did a Google search to find the Holy Grail of iPad covers compatible with the Smart Cover. The following have their own pros and cons:

1. ZUM Ultimate SC case - Pros: Comes in nice translucent colors that allows the Apple branding to show through; it locks the Smart cover in place (which is a con to some); made of a smooth rubbery texture for an easy grip; it's precision cut and the most durable of all cases. ZUM logo that blends with Apple's logo and fonts. Cons: No magnetic strip on back to prevent the cover from flapping.

2. DeviceWear Union Shell - Pros: Comes in nice translucent colors that allows the Apple branding to show through; Has a built-in magnetic strip on the back to keep the Smart cover from flapping when folded back; made of a smooth rubbery texture for an easy grip; fits snugly and is also very durable. Cons: Does not lock the Smart cover in place (which may be a con to some for those who want to easily detach the cover); Devicewear's retro logo on magnetic strip doesn't match that of Apple's more modern branding (but that's nitpicking).

The other two worth mentioning are the TuneWear Eggshell only because of the super thin 0.9mm thick and super light 58g weight, and the InCase Mag Snap case with it's noteworthy feature of including two magnets on the back where the second magnet functions to create a stand angle that is roughly halfway between the viewing and typing positions. Those features are not enough though for the price they are asking for, considering the other flaws that they have.

One of these companies should be able to combine the best of all worlds and come up with the best back cover for iPad compatible with the Smart Cover.

I most certainly like the ZUM case the best and would have bought it in a jiffy if only they have a magnetic strip. The DeviceWear therefore is the next best for me. Although it doesn't lock the Smart cover in place, it's not much of an issue because one never holds the iPad by its Smart cover (unless you're a child that doesn't know better) but it's a nice feature as one will never have to be self-conscious about accidentally detaching the cover. I just wish that the black is translucent like that of the ZUM case to show the Apple logo. My next color of choice then would be the clear frost.

9. kaylerrific macrumors regular

Great writeup! I just got my ipad and got a Caudabe Shell off of Amazon because I heard a lot of good things about it. Very happy with it, but the Devicewear sounds pretty nifty. I'll have to take a look at that if my Caudabe wears out. Thanks!

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I think the metal strip on the Devicewear looks tacky, but that's just me. I've got a Caudabe Shell as well and couldn't be happier. Well, no, I take that back. I could be happier if they'd release the same thing for the mini.

11. RWil85 macrumors 6502

Just going to copy/paste this post I made in another thread:

One that you should NOT buy is the Belkin Snap Shield - put one on the back of my iPad 2 and the corners had spiderweb cracking within 2 days. The fit was so tight that I believe this was simply due to the installation.

The Caudabe looks exactly the same as my Speck Smart Shell. I picked up the Speck in a smoky charcoal color - can still see the Apple logo through it, nice touch. Works perfectly with a Smart Cover.

Just wanted to provide another good option for people interested.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I have all three of these as well. Agreed on the Belkin. Horrendous quality. It's actually been representative of most Belkin products I've bought recently.

The Speck is a nice one. Only thing is that their clear cover is the glossy finish which I hate because it shows fingerprints and scratches. They don't seem to have a frost matte version like the Caudabe. I've used the Caudabe for months now and nary a scratch on it (that I can see).