Best back cover to go with Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ZebraineZ, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

At the moment I have an iPad 3 with the recent Smart Case. However this case kind of sucks in many ways (feels loose, tacky and poor quality) and I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Smart Cover which I fell in love with. However that doesn't help with the back of the iPad. What are the best ones that I can buy for the back? My iPad is white and I'd rather it just be simple and sleek and feel good and sturdy in th hand. I'd prefer the same color light grey as the smart cover I will get, but something transparent would be fine as well.

Are there any like this? I want it to fit nice and snugly without any of the ports and stuff looking misaligned. I hope you guys can understand me lol. I'd prefer it not be expensive, maybe like $20 max.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=386825&catid=283116&aid=338666&aparam=386825

Something like this would be nice. I just found it on google but just to make sure what I would like. I don't know much about it so hopefully someone can say something about it. Basically it would be nice if it was clear and would protect it. I don't mind the material as long as its not something too rough, so polycarbonate or some soft plastic or rubber, whatever would be fine.

2. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

I have the smart feather frost for mine. It works awesomely. The only caveat is the smart cover is not removable without taking the feather off first, but u never have a reason to.

3. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Is it a good reasonable buy for its price? How well does it protect it day to day, like with scratches on the bottom and stuff. Would it look good with a light grey smart cover? I saw it on google and it looks really nice but I'm unsure about how well it will keep from scratches. Its thin alright which is a plus and the translucency doesn't seem like a big deal, but yeah. And is there a way to get it cheaper lol? Like down to 20.

4. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Because its frosted, it hides blemishes on itself fairly well. As far as protecting the device itself I'm comfortable throwing it anywhere. I use a light gray smart cover as well so it's a smooth fit. I got mine straight from incipio a few months ago with a coupon code for like $13 shipped. Just dig around retail me not.

5. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

I love my snap shield secure from belkin. I know there are similar ones reviewed by meta gamers that are cheaper and I would think they re easily as good. Check him out. Love the way they smartcover stays flat on the back

6. Young Turk macrumors 6502

zum.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

8. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

Agree... ZUM sc ultimate provides a better protection than smart feather...

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

just another smart feather fan. nice feel, impressive fit. and I really like how it locks on the smart cover.

10. jimenez1410 macrumors newbie

For those with the Smart Feather, are there stains showing up? Mine has some light brownish stains that I think come from my black leather smart cover.

11. Djdan23323 macrumors newbie

12. JazzDemon macrumors newbie

What's the grip on that like? I've had a silicon back case in the past and found it way too slippy, which is why I tend to get faux leather ones. But I'd be interested to know how slippy the belkin is!

13. number84 macrumors 6502

I just got a cheap gel back from eBay and love it. For $10 you really can't go wrong. I was using a Lexington case from Incipio but have since ditched it for smartcover + gel case.

14. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

Not sure on how to describe but it's pretty nice, it's mat and those always feel a bit better then glossy ones. Since it isn't the hardest plastic and it does flex a bit (without an iPad in it of course) it also has some rubbery qualities.

Hope this helps, find it very hard to describe this in english. Check out devicewear stuff as they are the same and really pretty cheap in the US as I understand.

15. glen e macrumors 68030

both incipio smartfeather and i blason are grippy and not slick...

16. junebug1 macrumors regular

The Belkin Snap Shield Secure is the hands down the best companion to a Smart Cover. For maximum grip I personally think the Clear is the way to go. The material they use for the clear is non-slip whereas any of the colored backs are glossy. Also check out the Incase Magnetic Snap Case. My issue there is they leave the entire bottom speaker cut out. Less protection than the Belkin, but still an excellent product.

Please note that after about 3 months my Clear did end up getting discolored around the magnet as well as anywhere else the cover actually came in contact with the iPad. The discoloration did not affect my iPad but was extremely visible on the case. Belkin will simply mail you a new one with no questions asked by using their automated replacement system. They charged my CC and sent me a new one. Once I received my replacement I dropped my discolored one in the mail and got a full refund in a few days so I can complain about them not standing behind their product. I will continue to do the same thing until the next iPad is released.

17. Gordonpn macrumors member

Gordonpn

Hey iRooney, I read that the Incipio's Smart Feather case comes with a screen protector too, I was wondering if you used it or not?
    If you did, what do you think of it?
    Does it do the job, or should I just get a different screen protector?

18. lincolnmayer macrumors member

have you tried looking into screen protectors?

19. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I'm using a Power Support black slim 1mm back, that locks the smart cover on. Has good textured grip and is very thin. Got it on ebay for $15, I think they are a more $ new. Mine is an ipad 2 but they make them for 3s.

20. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Where can I buy it? Amazon doesn't have the clear color.

21. jacob-07 macrumors regular

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Zum frost here, love it. Had Belkin and returned it, wanted as full of coverage as possible.

23. DashSatan macrumors 6502

I'm rockin the incase magnet snap with my smart cover. Love it. It's superbly built and extremely sturdy. Gonna grab a sleeve for carrying around soon.

24. Gordonpn macrumors member

Gordonpn

25. aricher, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I don't think Zum has updated their website with the new models yet as they cme in a much more limited selection of colors. I have a Zum on my iPad 2 as well as my iPad 3 - they are model-specific meaning the older version for iPad 2 won't fit the 3. I'm not sure if the newer versions fit both. I bought them on amazon which has the iPad model specs listed in the product description.