Best backpack for Macbook Pro 15.4" (unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Aug 27, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I'm looking for a good backpack, main thing I want is my MBP being very well protected, I saw a nice Nike backpack yesterday but it seemed it could also hold a 17" which isn't exactly ok for me (was a nice bag though). I might order one from the (belgian) apple store. Advice please!

2. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

Get the North Face Surge. I have my 15 inch inside an Incase neoprene sleeve and then it goes into the backpack and it fits like a glove. Perfect. Plus, it has more than enough room for all my cables, my mouse, mousepad, notebooks, textbooks, iPod and iPhone and accessories.

At around $100, you can't beat it.

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I made a sleeve for mine. Padded with 3/4" black foam, fleece inside and naugahyde outside. I slide it into the biggest pocket on my JanSport and I'm good to go. I know this doesn't help, really but I don't think you need a computer specific backpack to carry a computer. Most of the specific backpacks are ugly anyways so find your favorite/most comfortable and make/buy a sleeve to go in it.

I meant to ask why you carry separate iPod and iPhone, but I hypothesize your music library is too big to fit on the iPhone and rather only on a Classic.

4. HD Fboy macrumors member

Tom Bihn.

Not the cheapest, but the best. Several different sizes and styles to fit your needs. Lots and lots of organization accessories.

I have used them all. I own the Brain Bag and this is the first computer backpack that is every bit as comfortable loaded down as a mountaineering backpack.

I can COMFORTABLY carry my 15 inch MBP, Canon i100 printer, ISCAN scanner, cell card router, car inverter, spare battery, and lots and lots of other stuff all in this bag.

5. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I'm known for 2 things in my town 1 is the glasses I wear & 2 is the bags that I carry. Most of my friends will say I wonder what backpack he'll be using today. I live in the mountains so I use a lot of packs & sunglasses for 1 reason or another. Mountain bike riding, skateboarding or work.

One backpack I find myself using a lot is made by Timbuc2.com give it a look.

6. kngelv macrumors member

Another vote for Tom Bihn. I have an Ego messenger bag with the Brain Cell case for the laptop. I like it a lot more than my Timbuk 2 bag. Best bag I've ever owned and awesome customer service.

James

7. rukus macrumors member

8. rcodddow macrumors newbie

9. Panzo macrumors 6502

I just received my brenthaven Pro 15/!7 backpack for my new 15 umbp, i gotta say im quite impressed, the build quality is top notch, the laptop compartment is top notch, and my vyper m3 sleeve fits in it like a glove, there is ALOT of room for stuff, i haven't filled it up yet, but ill let you be the judge according to the pics, also, in the vids on brenthaven they place their laptops in their bags and drop them from certain heights, and apparently the laptops are 100% protected (zero impact) well i tried it, obviously it was inside the vyper m3 sleeve then i placed it in the backpack and dropped it from nearly 4 feet (average drop) and then i checked it out and there was no dents, booted right up. bag retails for 179.99 US but i got it roughly for 78$. Worth every penny.

It is pretty big, i am a husky guy and it looks big on me. but hey you can drop ur precious goods and nothing will happen, worth the tradeoff imo.

[​IMG]

Vids of it being dropped:]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZeX6Xjv1EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXFYA07G5kw

10. JustDom89 macrumors member

JustDom89

11. Medic macrumors member

Booq bags are the best

I've had a few back packs for my MBPs...I like Booq one's the best because they are so versatile. Go to http://www.booqbags.com/15mbp to see the selection.

I have the Taipan, it is incredible in terms of how much you can fit it and comfort...reminds me of my old AD&D days and the Bag of Holding: it seems magical how much you can fit in there! It's really a high quality built and won't let you down...I couldn't say so much about incase, swiss, crumple, which have all died after 6 months or so...

12. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Added note: I really do not to take a lot with me, occassionally my camcorder or digicam, but mostly just the laptop, the charger and some papers. So it really does NOT need to be big, I just want my laptop to be protected very well. I had my MBP in a sleeve AND in a (cheap) backpack with laptop compartiment, and when I fell off the stairs, the laptop DID get a dent in the corner. So you can understand my concern.

13. Sndsrtaud macrumors newbie

A third for the Bihn

The Smart Alec or Brain Bag (depending on how much rooom you need) with a Vertical Brain Cell for the inside. Shipping to Belgium isn't that steep. You'll never need another one.

14. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I have this one. It's a SwissGear backpack. It fits my MBP perfectly. It's also very roomy (27 L if I can recall correctly) so you can put lots of stuff in it. It's very sturdy, too.

15. HD Fboy macrumors member

I am not kidding, I have had them all. Targus, North Face, Timbuc2, Incase, SwissGear.....

I have carried a laptop for 15 years.

None, and I mean none of these other manufactures can touch the Bihn quality and more importantly design. The Smart Alex is smaller than the Brain Bag and I think they have another small bag as well. The also have messenger bags, and luggage. The Brain Cell is so much better than any sleeve I have ever used I can't even give you a name to compare it to.

They are designed and built in Seattle. If you call there is a very good chance you will speak with Tom Bihn personally.

This is the last bag you will need. In the end, it will save you money.

16. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

17. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

I honestly don't carry them both with me at the same time. I have the iPod touch 16g and an 8g iPhone 3G. I also have an iPod nano for working out at the gym. I use the Surge as a carry all for all of my technology/computer gear.

18. darkdream macrumors member

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've been using this bag (or it's Brenthaven equivalent) for 7 years and it's the best backpack out there by far.

20. boatski macrumors regular