Best Backpack for Student (13"MBP)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Help Please, Nov 2, 2011.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. Hurley Manzana

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. North Face Surge

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. North Face Recon

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Help Please macrumors regular

It's time to retire my five year old hurley backpack - two zippers are broke and it's fabric is worn out. Sooo, I'm in the market for a new backpack. My Hurley treated my well and I know Apple even sells their products on their website, however, I've seen a lot of people recommend the North Face Surge or Recon.

Here are the three I'm considering.

Hurley

North Face Surge

North Face Recon

Anybody own either of the three? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I like the Hurley backpack best. It's cheaper and looks way better than the other two backpacks you listed. Plus there's a compartment that lets you "hide" the macbook, pretty cool! :)

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally I use a Swiss Gear backpack, but from your choices I like the North Face Surge bag the best (in a "deep water blue").

5. Wattser93, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Wattser93 macrumors regular

Same here. I use it for college and bring my 13" MBP everywhere with me. It's comfortable, and has no signs of wear even though it's 3 years old. Well worth the price IMO.

6. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I've been using the Recon for 2-3 years now for my 15" and I have zero complaints. It has worked great and it's got plenty of pockets and organization.

7. Jrv macrumors regular

Vans (yes, the shoe brand) makes epically stylish and reliable backpacks. I've had this same black Vans backpack for years and it's as sturdy as ever. Plus, they're way cheaper and less geeky than these apple backpacks.

My macbook fits perfectly inside.

8. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

My vote goes for one of the Swiss Gear backpacks.

Although I did get a great Thule 13" MacBook Pro Attaché that also holds my iPad. Perfect size for carrying those two items and pretty durable. However a student would probably prefer a backpack since the Thule case really only has room for the laptop, iPad and a few other small things.

9. entity macrumors regular

+1 North Face Recon.

I picked one up last month to replace an old Targus backpack and couldn't be happier. I have a top zipping Speck sleeve that I leave in the laptop area and my 15" MBP slides in and out very easily.

10. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

I have used Swiss Gear backpacks for my entire college carrer. One of them started to fray and i had a replacement one from swiss about 4 days later.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i use the INCASE canvas backpack. mines the 2010 model though , they changed the design for 2011.

extremely well padded macbook compartment. and yes they called it a MACBOOK compartment LOL

Attached Files:

12. rubirock macrumors regular

another +1 for recon, works great with my 13"mbp

13. PirateMonkey macrumors member

I have the 2011 version of this and it's brill the storage is quite surprising also, that and yesterday I was out in the rain it was hammering and I was thinking "good bye Macbook pro", but inside was bone dry, I also have the macbook in an incase sleeve so that anything thats inside the backpack won't move around and scratch the thing to bits, but that was for the just incase factor.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

but the backpack already has a built in sleeve for the macbook? whats hte point of using another sleeve

yeah ilike my incase, but i wish it held a few more books

15. Berius macrumors member

I just got a recon today and I like it a lot. So far it is the nicest backpack I have ever owned. I used to use jansport and those swiss gear laptops. The last one was a swiss gear i used senior year and near the end of the year i had to duct tape the bottom because it was all torn open. If you like the swiss gear then get one of those. I definitely do not treat a book bag with school supplied textbooks as delicately as I would with my new pro in it.

16. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I simply use my Eastpak, protecting the MBP with an Incase sleeve. Works fine for when I have to take it to university.

17. bearcats087 macrumors member

bearcats087

i got the surge coming in the mail monday so i will post after using it for a few days

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

woah these backpacks are so amazing. now i wish i had one :p
    but im still happy with my 6 year old backpack that isn't for macs :) cheap, affordable, and beautiful, and durable, what more can one ask for in a backpack that isn't for macs

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but I'll still give you points for being clever :cool:

20. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

21. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

+1 for Incase backpacks. I have the sling version and the build quality is great. Mine too is a 2010 version. the inner sleeve for the laptop/ipad is perfectly lined w/ soft faux fur. Well built and sturdy for everyday use.