Best backup for 15" retina mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, I've had my mac for about 1 year now and haven't backed it up since my LaCie drive broke. I was wondering what backup is the best. Price limit is 500 and i want about 1tb of storage.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

There's really no "best". You can get a WD USB 3.0 1TB drive for about $70, or a Thunderbolt WD or Seagate for about $300 - $350.

3. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

is Seagate more reputable than WD. I went on WD and all they had was out of date backups but they were nice. Going to check seagate out

----------

also went on apple store, but most of the good ones were LaCie and i don't want that because people have bad luck with it. Should i go with G - Drive, its kinda loud but is it safe to use like it won't die.

----------

this mac is an SSD, should i still get a backup

4. austinpike macrumors 6502

What do you mean by "out of date" backups? You can use any hard drive, there is nothing special about a "backup" drive.

I'd just get this and be done with it. Seagate 2TB
    Or if you want WD 2TB.

Seagate had some bad drives years ago and people still hold a grudge against them. You will find good and bad comments for every manufacturer. The Seagate is thinner, other than that it doesn't really matter. You are better off using Time Machine than any software the drive might come with.

If you left your laptop on a bus and never saw it again, would you miss the stuff that is on it? Is your content worth more than $100 to you? If yes, then yes, you should back it up.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I got a separate hard drive and enclosure. If space/portability/weight is not an issue for you then get the bigger 3.5" ones because they are cheaper.

This is the hard drive I got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Terab...749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d20ad565
    (not my auction)
    White label means it has no mention of the company or anything, for OEM use to look like they made it and not advertise someone else's. This is just a WD Green.

The enclosure I got is an ORICO enclosure ($20) but I wouldn't recommend it so I won't post the link. Look for a USB 3 enclosure. USB 2 is too slow. Enclosures with FireWire/Thunderbolt are expensive, probably because of liceansing or something like that.

The total price went near $90 (including taxes and shipping etc).

I do not recommend the WD Elements drives or whatever they are as the drive inside is natively USB 3. Usually there is a SATA hard drive with a USB controller/converter but this is natively USB 3; not sata. So you cannot swap it into a computer if you need.

----------

LaCie products are good; bad luck can happen with any thing.

Speaking of which, you can reuse the enclosure of your LaCie drive instead of buying a new enclosure. What kind of enclosure is it?

6. leman macrumors 604

I am confused by your terminology. Are you talking about backup software or backup drives? The drive manufacturer does not really matter that much, it all more or less the same. Look for a USB3 ones. And I am not aware of a single external 1TB disk that would be more expensive than $500 — so you can pretty much buy anything you like.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean best external hard drive for your price correct?

I like WD products look at at them.

If you're asking about backup software, then Time Machine is the great, I use that coupled with Carbon Copy Cloner. Another great application for backing up

8. kittencounter macrumors member

Just buy an Apple Time Capsule. Easy seamless backup and you get an excellent router with it.

9. ponytrekker macrumors newbie

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

11. moworks2 macrumors member

Lots of solutions. Depends what you need/want. Leave it running and connected all the time then try this...

http://www.macgurus.com/store/Item/RSM2

I'd get this with two 1tb drives. These have seagate drives. You can use what you want. You can leave this plugged in and running if you want. Use the second drive to back up your back up every week or so. Take it off site for safety.

Maybe this is too much for you. But under 500 and a relatively good back up plan.

I've also read that hitachi drives are reliable. They can all fail. But keeping your drives running all the time and well ventilated, fans are best I've read, will keep your drives healthy, your data safe.

Still, I have two back up drives for my two back up drives 'just in case'...

12. austinpike macrumors 6502

The OP is questioning whether he even needs to do backups... "too much" indeed... that thing looks more appropriate for a nuclear storage facility. :)