Best backup method for iTunes, iPhoto and Mail?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Domino8282, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I am wanting to transfer from my old Mac Pro to my new iMac (when it arrives) my iTunes library (music, videos, etc. 80GB), my iPhoto library, my documents and e-mail. I'm not interested in backing up my applications, settings, or anything else because I've accumulated some unwanted clutter.

What is the best way of transferring only those items? It appears that Time Machine would be difficult to configure for this purpose without dragging along unwanted items?

Thank you.

2. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Drag/export the data you want to transfer to an external HDD. When I switched from PC to Mac, I imported all of my data from an external HDD. Hope this helps.

3. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks I definitely will use an external HDD... Just wondering if there's any programs that will make this process easier or do I need to just research how to backup each of those data sources manually and then restore them?

Was hoping there was some magical Apple method for automating this process. What do they use in the Apple Store if someone says they want those items migrated to their new machine?