Best Backup method on a 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Jul 16, 2011.

1. duffer6, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

duffer6 macrumors 6502

Here is my setup:

*2011 MBP

*WD 2TB My Book Studio LX (3 partitions 1 TB for Itunes, 750GB for TimeMachine and 250 GB for Misc)

*2TB WD Green Caviar internal drive in a MacAlly enclosure. (brand new just formatted) waiting to be used.

Would I be better off duplicating my partition scheme onto the new WD Green Caviar and use Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate each volume onto the new WD Green Caviar. OR would I be better starting over and creating a Raid 1 (Mirrored) of all the partitions.

I have another backup of my iTunes, TimeMachine and MISC partitions so if I have to erase the data to start a raid (mirrored) setup that is not a big deal. I can get the backup from the other drives that would not be part of the raid.

The way I see the setup is. Raid 1 (mirrored) Three partitions (iTunes, TimeMachine, Misc) all mirrored to the other drive.

Or am I just better of leaving my setup as is and manually copying the files to each matching partition via Carbon Copy Cloner. I can easily perform a backup each night by running CCC as needed per partition.

Thanks for the help.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

3. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Changed the info in my post thanks! Any suggestions?

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

i'm not too familiar with raid setups, but CCC can do automatic synchronized backups for you. It seems however from your post that you are wanting to back up specific files/folders in which case a customized application of rsync would be more suitable.

5. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not looking to backup individual files. More partition to partition. Backup my External iTunes partition to the like partition, etc.

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I would run them as a Raid 1; I don't really know too much about RAID so someone else with more knowledge would be able to help more. I don't know how it works with running 2 different types of drives in RAID, but I assume they're similar enough that it wouldn't cause any problems.