Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I want to get a 4tb drive and use it to backup multiple drives in my Macpro. I sometimes swap out drives in the Mac, so some of the drives i want to backup are not in the Mac, and I don't think this will work with Time Machine. What is the best software for backing up everything across multiple drives?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use and recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for all backup needs. It can make a bootable clone of your internal drive, including the recovery partition. It supports incremental backups. It can also back up any drive to any other drive.

You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Do you know if it will allow me to have a drive in my Mac and back it up and then allow me to swap it with another drive and also back up that drive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you know if it will allow me to have a drive in my Mac and back it up and then allow me to swap it with another drive and also back up that drive?
Sure. As I said, you can backup any drive to any other drive.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I second CCC. I use it every Friday night to make a bootable clone of my two systems. Granted, I use TimeMachine for daily backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.