Best backup solution for a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anti-microsoft, Jun 26, 2008.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I'm thinking on either buying an external, Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme and connecting an external drive.

Time capsule sounds good 'cos It's wireless but I travel quite a bit so it wouldn't be ideal.

An external drive is great for portability but Is a bit of a drag to have hanging on all the time while at home.

And Airport Extreme + external drive would probably work best for me. When I'm home I could plug it in and when I'm away, on holiday or at school I could plug the external in...

If you are in this situation please discuss and comment,

Thanks,

AMS

2. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

yea i am trying to decide between these three options as well, but im getting nowhere because some people tell me one thing while others say another thing.

do you have any idea about what kind of hard drive you are thinking about if you go the external route?

3. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook and i have three HDs, 2 portable 2.5" HDs and, 1 external HD. The two small laptop sized HDs are 60gb and 80gb and the external is 120gb. I love it cause i can bring stuff with me in the small pocketsize drives or backeverything up to my main 120gb external HD.

A nice app to back up your stuff if you don't want to use Time Machine is Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) which copy your whole filesystem and if you really wanted to you could put it on a different HD and use it as an external boot disk.

Anyways i bought a 100gb HD 2.5" on ebay for $25 and a 2.5" enclosure for $10 thats $35 for a 100gb HD pocketsize portable drive thats unheard of. I personally think Time Capsule and Time Machine is worthless unless you have lots and lots of information and you have lots of lots of space to store it on.

Hope this helps :)