best backup solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, May 22, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

I'm trying to eliminate (or part there of) the need to backup my personal data to dvd media, only leaving DVD media to mostly retail mac media.

For a start i was thinking of maybe keeping one or two backup of small or large (1TB) hard drives for archival storage only. And then doing the same with my Itunes library. I was also thinking of "cloud computing" services like Carbonate, but found they wouldn't be good for full recovery.

The point is, in this day and age where we are all watching Netflix on devices, keeping backups on Hard drive media(s), it seems the point of keeping a "read only" media (or more) around is just taking up space. Why bother when you can have 1TB with everything.?

Is this the best method... or MUST a DVD be always there.

What do you reckon?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

I haven't used DVDs for a long time. I recommend keeping backup drives in different physical locations just in case of fire or some other kind of unforseen disaster. I've recently upgraded to 1TB drives in order to keep up with all of my data. I think it would be pretty difficult for me to lose more than a few hours of work.

1) 1 TB drive for Time Machine--in my apartment.
    2) 1 TB drive for archived files (hundreds of GB of old stuff that won't fit in my computer)--in my apartment.
    3) 1 TB drive for archived files (same content as the other one)--in my office
    4) Sugarsync online backup for files I make changes to on a daily basis.

CARBONITE
    As for Carbonite, the concept is wonderful (backup everything on your HDD for one flat fee) but the implementation is awful (no external drives and for me it was loading about 1 to 2 GB a day on a good connection, so it would have taken about 1/2 year (!?) to backup all of my files). I contacted Carbonite to explain my predicament and ask if it was working correctly, and all I got was a form email in response. I definitely would not recommend them.

SUGARSYNC
    I recently did a boneheaded thing and managed to mess delete files off of Sugarsync and my computer. Very stupid. With my backups I recovered all but one file, and after contacting Sugarsync, they were able to recover the file for me, even though I had "permanently" deleted it. I would recommend them for the good customer service, the incredible ease of use, the rich features, and the relatively low price.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

backup

ok... thx... i'll go with backing up on external hard drives.

As for my home network. i'm thinking of NAS device.... for my mac and my parents dell pc..

Must the NAS be physically attached ? as both computers, and router are in different parts of the house. I was thinking wireless over network as the best method,

Secondly, what NAS would you guys recommend ? I would guess Time machine only does local and i'll need software for Windows system.