Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Hi folks. I am looking for a way how to mirror my data offline (i also have a dropbox setup).

I am looking for a cheap,small absolutely quite 2*medias (be it hdd,ssd,or any other card/usb thingie). I want to have 1 mirror ( 2 sides) to be sure i will not loose my data.

I don't have that much data to be worried about so i don't need a big medias.

ty

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Do you want to use Time Machine? You can do a RAID 1 setup and hook up TM to have a mirrored TM backup. Or if you really don't have that much data you can plug in two flash drives and drag and drop your files you want to backup on to both of them every time you make a backup.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Do you want to use Time Machine? You can do a RAID 1 setup and hook up TM to have a mirrored TM backup. Or if you really don't have that much data you can plug in two flash drives and drag and drop your files you want to backup on to both of them every time you make a backup.

Yeah but what HW ? Time Capsule does not have a 2 disks (and i would prefer to have 2 separate disks (not counting the macbook's one).

Also i am thinking about some USB HUB

hbarr

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Cambridge, UK
Time Machine works with multiple disks

I guess I am a little paranoid about backups... :)

I have a Time Capsule, an external portable drive plugged into an Airport Extreme (which extends our home WiFi network), and a Synology DiskStation 212.

You can tell Time Machine on your Mac about multiple backup disks (I did that) and it will cycle through them, one each hour, backing up to all of them.

Of course, each disk now holds backups every 3 hours instead of 1, but any disk can fail and I still have two more. :)

You can also manually plug one or more external hard drives directly into your mac for Time Machine to use. But you then have to remember to do that.

I can recommend the Synology DiskStation, which sits on the LAN and supplies NAS storage, among a lot of other nice things. Mine has two 2 TB disks in a RAID1 configuration (mirroring) so, one of those can fail without losing my data.
Synology also have a very nice web-based user interface - much better than the NetGear ReadyNAS, IMHO. It supports Time Machine and iTunes streaming, as well as providing services like email, web server, photo storage...

If my house burns down, I could lose everything I guess. :( So perhaps I should buy iCloud space as well. Or at least keep a backup disk off-site. :)

PS The backup space is not just for me, but it supports other family Macs as well.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
How do you use your synology for backup?

I have one also. I do not use time machine with it. I currently manually copy data files to it. I love the thing, but is there a better workflow?

hbarr

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Cambridge, UK
Time Machine and Synology Diskstation

Well, the best information about how to use Time Machine with Synology Diskstations is on the Synology web site.

If you are running DSM 4 on your Diskstation, details are at:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/tutorials/481

If you are running DSM 5.1, details are at:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/tutorials/608

The articles describe setting up a special user account for the backups, but I just use a folder in my personal user account. Either will work.

I hope that helps.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
RAID is not a backup, it's for fault tolerance. If you delete a file on one side it's gone from the other side. Fire, theft, or other disaster takes out both drives. If you want redundant backups, they should be on different physical devices in different locations.

I use a Synology NAS and a mini server with Time Machine for two backup destinations. Add to that a CCC clone and CrashPlan for offsite. Overkill probably but I haven't lost any data.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I use a USB WD or Seagate external drive du jour (whatever is the best deal at the time) as constant Time Machine backup. Then I have another drive (same brands) that I CCC a bootable clone to once a month. The work clones stays at home and home clones stays at work for all my machines. Poor man's offsite backup storage.

pietrov

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
I'd buy another synology... and backup on them from your previous synology and from your TC :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.