Best Backup Solutions: Mac and PC. Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyan007, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Cyan007 macrumors newbie

Curious to see what others in my situation have done...

I own both a new Retina MacBook Pro and Windows-based machines and use both for work-related tasks. I was looking at picking up a time capsule but didn't know if that would be the best solution considering I don't really have a need for the router capability but could probably use it to easily transfer files. I was thinking something down the lines of a Thunderbolt device in which I could transfer files from my PC to my Mac over the network to store when needed.

Would anyone be able to recommend a great device in which I could use? Portability would be nice but not 100% required. This is my first Mac so I'd like to get things setup correctly. :)

Thanks!

2. Bauer24 macrumors regular

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Time capsule is a good choice. I have a Time Capsule which also acts as a router for me but I do not use the Time Machine on it. Instead, I run the Time Machine on an internal HDD and copy files manually to the Time Capsule as backups from my Mac and PC. The Time Capsule is a very convenient device for exchanging files between Macs and PCs on WiFi.

4. Cyan007, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Cyan007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Verizon FIOS in my area integrates their own wireless router into the modem. I've had no issues with this whatsoever to date. However, I've seen a few posts relating to issues between the Time Capsule and this select router configuration.