Best bag for MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I have a great Booq sling bag for my current 15", but the 17" slinger looks iffy. Anyone have a good recommendation for a great 17" bag that is protective, will hold extra stuff, but doesn't weigh 10,000 pounds?

Eventually, I'm assuming Apple will ship the laptop I ordered on 1/6, but God knows when....

2. timish macrumors regular

I use a Vyper sleeve couple with a top of the line Brenthaven 17" laptop bag.

The bag is top notch with tons of storage, an internal protection pocket and coupled with the Booq Vyper sleeve's semi rigid construction equals a pretty bulletproof mobile body armor for the MBP.

Both Booq and Brenthaven offer lifetime warranty on their products (and I have used the warranty on both with no problems)

3. richardsun macrumors newbie

4. Mcmac17 macrumors member

I've bought a Tucano second skin sleeve. Seems fine - nice lip inside to prevent zip scratching. I'm a bit peeved it has MB17" written on it in a couple of places - so much for keeping a low profile.

I also got the Swiss Gear backpack which has loads of pockets/compartments and seems pretty well padded. It turned up yesterday (within 24 hours despite the apple store saying 1-2 weeks delivery).

Now if only the *~@£~# MBP would turn up I could tell you how well it fits :rolleyes:

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Could you give me the link to the Swiss bag your talking about? I got myself the Swissgear Serge bag - very good bag, loads of compartments and is made of quality material.

6. Mcmac17 macrumors member

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and didn't know how to do links!

Anyway, I've stopped being lazy, here it is...

It's at the UK Apple store - SwissGear Carbon Backpack for 17" MacBook Pro

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TN223LL/A?n=17_inch_macbook_pro&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjIzMDk3Mw&s=topSellers

Hope the link works.

The backpack seems pretty robust and I think the Tucano sleeve will fit into the Swiss Gear laptop compartment for extra paranoid packing...

Hopefully I'll know by Thursday (drums fingers impatiently).

PS I'm very jealous, you're in Glasgow- the Apple store there is SO quiet compared to the perpetual madness in Regent St.:)

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Im currently using this with my new 17" 2009 Unibody:

Incase Nylon Sleeve for 17-inch MacBook Pro (Chocolate)
    [​IMG]
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjQyNjQ3NA&s=topSellers

and i love it! Its really lightweight which is important to me, because the 17" Macbook is bulky enough already, and its got a soft silky furry inside lining where the laptop goes to stop it getting scratched at all. Its also got pockets for my power supply and a few other adaptors, such as my projector adaptor, but it is really slimline and thin so doesnt weigh a ton. Its also waterproof, and rigid enough to stop my laptop getting dented if i drop it, which happens a lot with the new aluminum Macbooks, and has the typical Incase quality you would expect.

Ok i'll shut up now :p

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

11. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Benthaven is the best computer bag I have EVER owned. Even better than my Tumi.

12. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

it has some pretty good reviews.

of course anything on the dell site will say designed for dell (like any universal accessory on the apple site etc etc), i found it via the belkin website actually....and led to that link...as opposed to spending insane prices for any other bag for a notebook.
    :p

13. chipmonkey macrumors newbie

Whatever you do, avoid the Booq Taipan Slim Case for 17" MacBook Pro. It's actually made more for a 15" or 13" and I'd still avoid it. The strap is CHEAPO. It's not made for the weight of the 17", that's for sure.

Also, it's got a hole in top for a hideaway handle where rain pours in all over the things you've got stored inside. There's no way to zip that slot shut.

And the inside pockets have no closures, so everything is constantly falling out. What a crap bag.

14. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

This is true. Booq is nothing more than a pretty website company with an embarrassing 5-yr warranty on it's bags.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Tom Bihn bag. Done.

You've been warned.

(signed proud owner of a Brain Bag, Brain Cell, and Empire Builder for my 17" uMBP)

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I would say any bag sight unseen is a lesson to be learned. I bought the Booq Mamba Sling for my girlfriends uMB and it's really nice but again only after having looked at it in person. I know that everyone has a favorite bag company, yet we all have different ones based on likes and needs. I have looked at some nice looking bags online only to be very disappointed when seeing them in person. I will be waiting for the release of the Boa Nerve L as it has what I need in terms of travel and storage.
    I can and will agree that some of these bags that offer slots/panels to store items in yet have no bottom for each slot is a big puzzle :confused: Or even more so the messenger bag that is just a large newspaper carrying bag at best for over $100 with little to no protection for what else, a laptop…
    Finding a bag for a 17" is a small job but in the end it's well worth the quest to protect a nice investment.
    Good luck

16. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

Which Brenthaven bag are you talking about. Is it the prolite III? Isn't that to big to carry around? Is the MBP compartment made of soft material. Is there a chance on scratching the MBP by the zipper when taking it out/putting it in ??

Does anyone else have some experience with the Prolite III bag, positive as well as negative ?