Best Bag for the 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David N, Jan 22, 2012.

1. David N, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

David N macrumors member

I just picked up my new 17" MBP and absolutely love it. Avoiding the debate as to whether or not it's a desktop replacement (which is is for me, but my "desk" travels with me ;)), I'd like some opinions on what is the best bag to carry it around in! It will be living in a Speck Hard Shell case, I had one a few years ago on my old MBP and loved it!

So, here's what I've found so far:

Brenthaven 17" ProStyle III-XF Shoulder Case
    http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_125199/product/H1516ZM/A

Thule 32L Crossover Backpack
    http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_125199/product/H6666LL/A

As you can see my budget is around $130, but I'd go up to $150 for a good bag if it helped. Does anyone have experience with either of those bags? I'm generally more fond of shoulder style bags, but the Thule obviously has more room. Which is more "drop/crush" resistant?

I'll probably be carry my MBP, an 8x10 notebook, a few pens, a 100Wh Hypermac Battery (in a few weeks, haven't ordered it yet, I'm currently nursing the pain from the MBP :eek:) and an external drive.

So, opinions? :)

2. datniceguy macrumors member

So I've been shopping around for a bag for a 17" MBP, too. From personal experience, I had a much bigger laptop (an ASUS G73 - freaking behemoth) and it actually fit into my ASTRO Scout Backpack. That's what I'll be using for now when my MBP comes in.

I second this post. I'm looking for briefcase/messenger style bag that's more business appropriate.

ASTRO Scout Backback - http://www.astrogaming.com/astro-scout-backpack

3. David N thread starter macrumors member

Interesting that you mention that, I have the Astros headset for gaming :D I'll look into their backpacks briefly, I forgot they made them, but this is more for my professional side, so maybe a gaming backpack wouldn't be the best idea :eek:

I can't find a single review of the Brenthaven, but it's looking like the best option so far...

4. TechStooge macrumors member

incase nylon or canvas backpacks. fits up to 17inch macbook pros

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Quite a few to choose from: http://www.booqbags.com/17-inch-macbook-pro-bags

They don't make the one I have anymore, but it is similar to the current Boa squeeze. Nice bag for traveling light, though they offer other, more voluminous, options.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Also, as far as Hypermac, do take the numbers they offer with a (decently-sized) grain of salt. I have their 150Wh battery which I used to take with me on longer flights. Since I now tend to travel with my MBA, I got their 60Wh battery as well. Their generous battery life estimates extend to that product as well.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

9. David N thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions; I think I'm going to go with the Brenthaven, it seems to have the best combo of storage, protection, and professional design so far :)

I have a smaller Hypermac for my iPhone and iPad [Which I sold to buy the MBP] that works ok, I get about 70% of the claimed battery life, which is ok with me. It would be nice if they gave an accurate number, especially where they're one of the few firms in their market (Not much competition that I can see...), I don't see much need to over inflate the numbers.

10. CountBrass macrumors regular

Knomo

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned my favourite MacBook bag maker.

I've got this one for my MacBook Pro 17": http://www.knomobags.com/uk/women/bags/laptop-sleeves/slim-large-laptop-case-17-black.html/

It's quilted, extra protection for the precious, and overall it's not much bigger than the MBP: what's the point of buying a slim, light laptop and then carrying it in a bag that doubles the bulk and weight? Comes with a strap in case you prefer to carry it over your shoulder (spoils the line of my suit so I carry it like a briefcase).

Mine is slightly different from the linked one in that mine is blue and doesn't have the little zippered pocket (I guess they added that for the 2012 model!), but otherwise identical.

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on who you ask -- same as asking about the point of any topic. It's a subjective matter. Some people need to carry stuff. Others have other reasons.

13. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I have the same Brenthaven bag for my 15" MBP, which I love. It is stylish and a high quality laptop bag (lifetime warranty). You can't go wrong with this one (IMO).

14. Romeo604 macrumors regular

try STMBAGS.com. They have very sturdy laptop bags.