Best bakeries in NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Jun 4, 2012.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My best friend's birthday is coming up and when I go up to visit, I want to get a birthday cake for her. Does anyone know of any good bakeries in the Manhattan area close to Penn Station or close to the 2/3 subway( or not horrendously long transfers to/from the 2/3).

I know of Amy's Bread which is close to the N/R trains which wouldn't be so too out of my way to transfer to the 2/3 train at the 42nd street stop. Anyone have a cake from there before?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It's in the opposite direction.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Billy's Bakery on 9th avenue between 21st and 22nd is really good.

5. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Anyone been to Crumb or Magnolia bakery before? Found them to be close to the 2/3 trains up near 92nd or 72nd.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you're into red velvet at all...Cake Man Raven in Ft Greene (Brooklyn) is fantastic. It's a short ride from Penn on the 2 or 3 train.

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm not into red velvet, not sure if she is. Brooklyn is way way way out of my way. Going north, not south.....

8. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Two Little Red Hens is pretty darn good. I had birthday cupcakes made for a girlfriend but they also do cakes. You'll need to give a couple days advance order.

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Magnolia is amazing. Best cupcakes on the planet!

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't know. A lot of reviews have said the quality have gone down and they are dry, etc.

I'm really starting to look into Crumbs Bake Shop. Their colossal cupcake is probably what the doctor ordered. :D Most reviewers seem to like it.

[​IMG]

11. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Crumbs cupcakes are good but they are dense. Not that big of a deal but I prefer lighter and fluffier cupcakes, personal preference. But they are good!

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Junior's bakery is right over on 44th and 7th. if you take the 2/3 to 42nd street its a quick walk... They have amazing cheesecakes and carrotcakes. Along with a few others.

13. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I agree. Had one a few weeks ago and I thought I'd died and gone to cupcake heaven. It was incredible.

Then again, I've never gone to any of the other bakeries listed in the thread.

14. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I can report back and say Crumbs cupcakes are awesome. I came home for fathers day and as an idea suggested my dad pick up some cupcakes on the way to the airport to pick me up. I had slices of happy birthday, squiggle, mudslide, and blackout. All of them were delicious. The cake was moist and the frosting had the right amount of sweetness and texture.

We originally ordered 12, but due to a mix up with our order they didn't have two of our choices ready so we ended up with 14 cupcakes as they gave us two for free due to their mistake. So good customer service.