Best bang for $2500 in the motion graphics realm?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Danny Futuro, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. Danny Futuro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    #1
    I need a new mac in the next couple of weeks that's well suited to work with FCS2 and CS3. Now before you all start telling me that I should get a Clovertown Mac Pro with a 30" ACD, I've set my spending limit to $2500 - $2800. The main thing I'm looking for is the best possible processor/graphics card setup out of the box. I'm likely not going to expand on the machine beyond RAM, and I've already got a rack full of Lacie D2's with my 20" aluminum iMac. The scenarios are:

    -Top-end 24" iMac. Honestly, this is the way I'm leaning the strongest towards, as it's got the 2.8ghz core 2 extreme and wireless. However, the poor color accuracy and viewing angle on my 20" aluminum imac, and the fact that I haven't heard much about the HD2600 running/rendering Motion 3 are keeping me on the fence. On my student discount, I could likely buy an ACD along with it to compensate for a poor display, but I'd rather not.

    -17" or the good 15" Macbook Pro. 2.4ghz and an 8600GTM are tempting, but the screen real-estate and display quality are making me think long and hard about this one.

    -2ghz Mac Pro w/20" ACD. This one is a stretch on my wallet, and the 7300GT isn't really a card I'd starve myself for. On top of that, I'd have to cough up some extra dough for an Airport module, or reconfigure my entire network setup to allow a wired internet connection.

    Any thoughts?
     
  2. ob81 macrumors 65816

    ob81

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #2
    I would get the iMac with an external Dell Display.
     
  3. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #3
    Are you planning on selling your 20" iMac? If not I couldn't recommend a 2nd.

    Mac Pro's innards are just too dated to justify a full-priced purchase, and the MBPs are 6 months old... I'd say hold out until January's macworld and see what's on offer then. Also keep an eye on refurb store prices

    If you absolutely can't wait, I'd say the 2.6 15" MBP. Or the 17" with HD screen if you could... But then you WOULD still have to wait because they're BTO configs. :D
     

Share This Page