Best bang for buck laser monochrome printer for Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mantronix, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Mantronix macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I'm a brand new father of a 24" 2.4ghz iMac. Love my baby!!! I'm looking to buy a monochrome laser printer that can be networked with my iMac and a Windows computer that my wife uses. I've heard that Dell has a good one and so does Brother. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the monotone mistake. :D

Forgot to add my price range is up to $200.00

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a Samsung ML-2571N and it works great. It is networkable, which was important in that I have two Macs and a PC and runs $115 at Newegg.com.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Monochrome

Monotone would mean that it was designed to make noise :)

HP Lasers. Can't really go wrong there. I've also had decent experiences with the inexpensive Samsung ones.

5. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I've seen some cheap HP laser printers for $99 on sale. Not too bad of a price

6. mwchris macrumors regular

Second Samsung's

I second the poster that suggested samsung laser printers. I have two, 1 color, and 1 multi function, and have had both networked to my mac(s) either thru USB or print serve. They work flawlessly. I would buy a newer version with built in networking, but mine work so well no reason to upgrade.

Bottom line Samsung Printers are pretty cheap and toner is much cheaper than other brands.

I do not recommend HP, Dell or Brother.

It appears that newer HP printers are not very accepting of anything but Genuine HP toner - which is $$$

Brother toner is also usually $$$

Dell's are usually rebranded Lexmark printers - which I personally have never had any luck with.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. powz macrumors regular

I'd suggest an HP or Samsung printer that's less than $100 (e.g. HP Laserjet 1012). Then buy toner refills for under $10 from Ebay. These usually allow you to refill several times. Compare with buying a single new toner for ~$60.

Here's another tip. If you find that your printer isn't officially supported, see if it is supported by the GutenPrint project (open-source drivers):

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

8. Mantronix thread starter macrumors regular

Well I bought my laser printer. It's the Brother HL-2070N model. I bought it from Office Depot for $59.99 because it was on clearance. It was the last one and it was never opened. Installing was a cinch. I just inserted the disc that came with it into my iMac and my wife's Windohs machine and we can now both print from it. I never owned a printer where the installation was so damn easy. I priced the toners and they run for about $40-50 which it's not too bad. I'm very happy now. :)

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have one of these, too. Had it for about 2 yrs now. I've been pretty happy with it.

10. dborja macrumors 6502a

Same here. Toner was about $45 from Amazon when it was time for one. Anyway, the combo USB and Ethernet is very nice (I use the Ethernet interface connected to my AEBS). It's been trouble-free for me (Tiger/Leopard) and my wife (WinXP). You might notice some curling on the paper when it first comes out but it straightens out as it cools. My next monochrome laser printer (when this breaks) will probably be another Brother. :)

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is the printer I was going to recommend.

They work well. Have all three interfaces (USB, Parallel and LAN). Easy to replace toner. Small and compact.

We have 3 of those. No problems.