Best Bang For Buck SSD for EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unsolvedmistere, Dec 20, 2013.

1. unsolvedmistere, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

unsolvedmistere macrumors member

I've looked all over the forums and goggled plenty. I'm not the most tech savvy person, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Background:
    My stock hard drive became corrupted. I tried using disk utilities to fix permissions/repair it to no avail. I honestly don't have cash to splurge, so I tried to make due with my corrupted hard drive. I reformatted the hard drive, but Mavericks installer gave me errors with an install. I was able to make two partitions, one being about 50 gigs and corrupted, and the other the rest of the 256 gigs and able to take a fresh install of Mavericks.

After about a month, my computer started to beach ball every 5-10 minutes. I did the same thing again, creating two partitions, this time, partitioning the hard drive into two equal partitions.

Long story short, my EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro is starting to beach ball again and I'm sure the hard drive is about to give out. I did some research and know that the EARLY 2011 Macbook Pros have some serious compatibility issues with SSD drives. If I'm going to spend some money on a hard drive, I'd like it to be an SSD and also get the best bang for buck.

Question:
    I've read that the EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro has issues with SSD drives; Can anyone recommend a reliable SSD drive that is known to work well with an EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro?

I honestly am not too concerned with the speed of the SSD because it will be a huge upgrade from the standard hard drive I have. I just want a +/- 256 gig SSD drive that has a reliable track record to work well with an EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro, has a good warranty, and is cheap.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd go with an intel or samsung 840 Pro, however, I don't currently have that change laying around. I am currently looking into the Sandisk ultra plus which is around $160 for 256 gigs. However, I can't find any accounts of the sandisk being used with an EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro. Has anyone installed the Sandisk ultra plus in an EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro or have read anything about that SSD working well with the EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. gobigorange macrumors member

I know you mentioned the 840 pro, but have you taken a look at the 840 EVO? It is a bit cheaper. At Newegg it seems to be about the same price as the Sandisk Ultra Plus you mentioned.

3. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, I'm not the most tech savvy person. However, I've read quite a few accounts to stay away from the EVO, they just aren't reliable. Additionally, I have no clue if they work with an early 2011 Macbook pro given the issues I've read concerning an early 2011 macbook pro and SSD drives. I don't even know what causes the issue between the two, just that there is one. I'll try googling about them now.

4. gobigorange macrumors member

The Newegg and Amazon ratings seem to be pretty positive for both the 840 EVO and Sandisk Ultra Plus. Any SATA 2/3 SSD should (theoretically) work in the 2011 MBP. One thing to look out for is if the firmware is updatable on a Mac. The SSDs that Apple uses are Samsung and Toshiba primarily.

You mentioned issues with SSDs and 2011 macbook pros. If I remember correctly that was for the second SATA channel on the 17" model, but there may be some other issue that I'm unaware of.

Someone else here probably knows better than I do, but just my $.02.

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

OP, most issues with the 2011 MBP's were about putting SSD's in the optical drive bay via data doubler kits. I haven't heard of any issues with SSD's in the main drive bay. I have a Crucial M4 SSD in the main bay of my early 2011 17" MBP with no issues of any kind for well over a year now. Great machine.

6. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

Thats a relief! Thanks for your input.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I totally second what niteflyr said : there is no problem with Early 2011 MBP and SSD's (placed in the main drive bay).

I have an Early 2011 13" MBP and a Crucial 480 Go M500 SSD (in the main drive bay).
    (Dual boot 10.6.8 + 10.8.5, RAM 16 Go).

Read : 490 MB/s
    Write : 415 MB/s

(Black Magic Test)

I use Trim Enabler.

8. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

I think you're spot on. On paper, the EVO looks much better. I also found out that Fry's electronics is offering the Samsung 840 EVO for 160, the same price as the Sandisk Ultra Plus. So I'm leaning towards the EVO.

Can anyone confirm that the EVO works with well with macbook pros? I've read some accounts of the EVO running slow on MacBooks pros but I'll do some research.

----------

Fantastic. At least thats one less concerns. Now just to research the EVO with macbook pros. I'm sure there is plenty of info here in the forums.

9. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input!

After doing some research, I think I'm going to go wight he samsung 840 EVO for a few reasons. First, I can go down to my local electronic store and pick it up right now (which I am going to do). Second, the EVO looks better on paper. Third, they are the same price, crucial being $8 less. Lastly, despite all the posts about the EVO not working well with the macbook pro, there seem to be just as many, if not more posts, about the EVO working flawlessly with the macbook pro.

10. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

840 EVO, IMO, but watch for deals. I've seen the crucial m500 for $120ish, and that would be fine as well.

The most important metric to look for when it comes to "snappiness" is the 4kb random read speed.

The 840 evo 250gb was just going for $140 on rakuten.com, but I think they sold out.

11. egis macrumors member

This is great info as I am in the same boat as the OP. My concern is about installation of the SSD. I am not one who feels good about opening up my MBP. Does any one have recommendations about where I might purchase and have installed a similar set up? Thanks:confused:

12. bds120 macrumors member

I have the Seagate 600 that was on Black Friday from newegg. FANTASTIC!!!

Looks good, works silly fast and not a issue period.

13. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

It's damn easy. Just get the right screwdrivers and follow some good guide (e.g. of ifixit). Just looked at the bottom of my MBP: 10 screws and you are inside. And less than that number to exchange the HDD for the SSD.

Get going ;)

14. egis macrumors member

Jorgk -:( while your response I presume you thought helpful, it is not. I simply wish to know what companies do the work - not DIY. Usually, I simply purchase a new one and am new to extending a MBP's life. Aside from the HD it runs well.

If someone else reading this part of the forum would mind suggesting some names I would most appreciate the advice. If there are none, then that would be helpful as well. thanks

15. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

I agree that upgrading the drive isn't super difficult, but if you want someone else to do it for you, I think an Apple official store would be the best place(or whatever you call them in the US). If you don't have any around you, I think OWC offers upgrade services by mail as well.

16. bazzario macrumors newbie

OP did the EVO work in your Early 2011 MBP? I'm looking at this drive myself would love to know before I buy. Thanks!