Best Bang for Buck used Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txnoob, Aug 17, 2009.

1. txnoob macrumors 6502

I'm actually using my Husband's account to ask this since he's supposedly
    busy at work today. But I see he's posted here....hmmm!?!

(to skip straight to question, read last paragraph)

Anyway, he's been pushing me to "try Mac" for a while. Ocassionally I will
    browse a page or two on his Mac Mini and it didn't seem as foreign as I
    thought it would. I've seen him use iMovie, which I'm very jealous of (lots of
    video of our 9 mo old), and iWeb. It seems to have so many great apps that
    act much more refined. I love the almost non existant (but still there) virus
    threat. So, I'm willing to give it all a try.

This is my dilema, I have been spoiled with a 17" screen on my current Laptop
    which is on a laptop cart that I can move all over the house. I know we can't
    afford a 17" Macbook Pro and honestly most likely not even the 15". I have
    looked at the 13" screens in the Apple store and it seems useable. There are a
    few pages I go to regularly I can see will require some extra scrolling. I'm just
    paranoid that if I get a 13" I'm going to freak after a few days because of my
    missing screen real estate.

The question is, of the Apple 13" - 15" Notebooks with Intel chips, where will my best
    value be? I will be buying used. I want something that will last a couple years
    (even if I have to put some memory in it), but all I really do is browse the
    internet (lots of FLASH & You Tube), email, basic photo editing, Open
    Office, etc. I'm not into photoshop or any other specialized programs.

Thanks

PS. I got his permission to do this! :)

2. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I went from a 21" monitor down to a 13" MacBook. I had the same fears of hating the smaller real estate but I hardly notice it.

We'd probably need your budget, but I'd recommend a White MacBook. You could go with the new unibodies, but the only advantage would be better graphics which you'd hardly notice only using flash & video.

Best bet would be the refurbished store, and upgrade the ram to 4GB.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...your best bet is the whitebook I have in my sig... a 2.0 Ghz 9400M Nvidia model = $749 at the apple refurb store when they pop up and I upgraded the RAM to 800 Mhz PC6400 RAM and a 320 HDD shipped from newegg for $98.

I got it a little cheaper from the on base PX so total it cost me $843 and then the only difference would be the .13 of the most current CPU = not a big deal.

Good luck with your purchase and I have a 24" monitor I hook up to as well when needed...

4. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Budget. I'd say about $600 tops. Is Gainsaver a reputable company? They have used Macbooks, black & white for around $500.

5. iSchule macrumors member

Stay away from gain saver! Its really risky to buy from there. I almost bought from there. Don't do it. Try powermax they are really good!

6. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Do a forum search on gainsaver - or any other used company - before you buy. Chances are, if they've been around, somebody here has dealt with them.

The apple refub store has had the basic white macbooks for as low as $799. If you grab the free-after-rebate printer and then resell it, you can drop your net cost to $740, which is topping out your budget a bit but the one-year factory warranty may be worth it for you.

8. amfbutler macrumors newbie

I Agree- Say No to Gainsaver!

It seems like this is the general consensus on this website, but Gainsaver is a big ripoff! They sent me a faulty iMac that broke a little after owning it for thirty days. They wouldn't take it back, even though it was apparent they sent me a lemon iMac because I hadn't bought the extended warranty.

boo! I wish I had read the comments on this site before I bought mine! Don't make the same mistake!:(