Best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Albone, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Albone macrumors regular

I'm coming to the end of the road of my G4 emac, and I'm looking to upgrade to a new machine. The problem is that I'm not sure what to get, so I thought I would get the opinions of you fine folks.

I use Photoshop CS2 a lot, and frequently run files around 100-200 MB (lots of color and layers). I do use Quark, Illustrator, Painter, etc.

I'd love a tower because I can upgrade when I like, or modify how I want, but it's so damn pricey. I'd be fine with a mac mini if I thought I could pimp it out to handle PS. The iMac looks fine too, but you can't really do any of your own upgrading outside of RAM.

I also have two 19 inch monitors which suits me fine. Not married to them, but they're fine.

So with that in mind, what's the machine for me?

2. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Based on your needs an iMac may be the best solution and cheapest. If you were to spring on a tower that is just the beginning as you would probably want more RAM and additional HD's. The RAM is more expensive for the Mac Pro than it is for the iMac as well.
    If you want to keep the monitor investment you can still span with the iMac I believe. Without knowing if there is a budget one can not make a decision.

If money is no option get a Pro, if on a budget get the iMac.

3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I would say get an MBP and hook it up to your monitors, will run all those programs better than an iMac would (in my oppinion)
    It is about $800+ more than the iMac, but I think it would be worth it.
    If you made me chose between Mac pro and iMac, I would say iMac

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The best bang for the buck is the iMac. The mini quickly becomes costly if you upgrade it. A MBP is fine if you need portability. If you don't why would you want a 15" screen when you could have a 20" or 24" screen, a faster processor and a bigger HD for less? Connect one of your 19" monitors to the iMac, sell the other, and you have a nice dual screen system.

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

What's your budget? Might be easier to help you that way.

6. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I probably should've posted that first. The budget is $2,500.

I figured the Mac Pro is sweet because even though I can't upgrade it right away, I could down the road. But then, for less than that, I can pimp out the imac. Which is why I thought I would throw this fun dilema at your guys' feet.

Thanks for the help on this by the way. :D

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

No way is that 'more bang for the buck'.

If you can afford it, and are willing to part with your money, the Mac Pro has the best specs /$ IMO.

iMac would be just fine too.

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya just go for the base mac pro and then upgraded later if needed.

9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I definitely agree that the mac pro is the most bang for your buck. Pick up a refurbished one and you've got years of upgradability.