best bang for the money

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pharao111, Jun 21, 2009.

1. pharao111 macrumors newbie

I'm currently using the black macbook rev 2 from mai 2006 and unfortunately it starting to get cracks on its shell so i decided it's time to move on to the next macbook pro/air but now with the new revision i'm not sure which one to get so i'll ask you guys. I'm studying so i'm using my macbook all day long at school and on the road as well. I'm mostly doing writing stuff, surfing, some minor picture editing with my iphoto library and adobes photoshop tools. also i'm using my notebook to watch movies I so basically the usual things everybody does.
    I'm considering to get the 13" macbook pro with the ssd inside to max the battery because i'm spending all my day at school and i would like to carry as less weight with me as possible but then i also see the macbook air and that confuses me. what do you guys prefer yourselves and what would you suggest me to get? ah and i'm planing to go abroad for studies so i'll be relying heavily on my macbook pro/air 13/15" the next two years. so what should it be? please help wise readers from macrumors

2. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

get the low-end macbook air with ssd. it seems to suit you well.

3. buckeye17 macrumors member

I think the base, $1199 MBP 13 would suit you perfectly. No point in getting the SSD for weight purposes, as I don't think it would make your laptop noticeably lighter than one with a traditional HD.

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502

Isn't the Air's battery performance pretty weak, i hear times quoted of just 2 hours and 15 minutes..

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In terms of "best bang for the money" which is what you have called the thread, I'd recommend the 13" MBP; in terms of spec and battery it is still better than the MBA (which is beautiful and stunning and lightweight).

When the technology has improved further, and you are in a financial position to afford it (after graduation and when the economy picks up) then try the MBA in a few years time.

Cheers and good luck

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So disappointed after viewing thread. Very misleading title. :D

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I had the same impression :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. molala macrumors 6502a

I vote for the base 13" MBP as well. I won't suggest the Air because if you are going abroad for studies with this, it will be very convenient to have superdrive, firewire, SD card reader all in one machine.

Also, about the cracks on your blackbook - it's a known issue, bring it to Apple. They should replace your case even out of warranty.

9. pharao111 thread starter macrumors newbie

title choose and reply

well i chose that title because i'm currently a grad student so i've want to be sure that what i spend i spend wisely so i want to maximize my investment thats why "best bang for the money"... does the ssd make the mbp run longer then the hdd? or is the difference barely noticeable? I'm living in switzerland and i've got to pay for a mbr13" with ssd around 2000 swiss francs (1800 dollar) and for the "better" air 2100 swiss francs (1900$) so i'm mixed with my feelings about the devices...does anybody have experiences with the mbp battery run times? are they based on daily usage really running more then 6h? bcs else if it's like 4-5 h then i guess the air would do good as well.....

10. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625