Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maricircus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Hello macrumors. I'm looking for a solid Mac-mini under $600. Im intrigued by how easily portable they are + I heard some of the older models are surprisingly powerful for their price-range. Some programs I'll be running: Logic, Photoshop, iMovie, and a couple of Steam games as well.

I currently have a 2008 mbp and am looking to upgrade asap.

ty!!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The way I divide Mac Minis is by needs.

Do you need USB 3.0? Then you must get a 2012 or newer.
Do you need quad core? Then you must get a 2012.
Do you need need/want to tinker with it? Then you must get a 2012.
Do you need the best possible graphics? Then you must get a 2014.

Personally, I think the 2.3ghz 2012 model is the best bang for buck. I do own one though, so maybe I'm biased :) .

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You SHOULD NOT buy "anything less" than the 2014 "mid-range" Mini.

If you buy the entry-level model, you will be back here in short time asking "how do I speed this up?"

Even if you buy the mid-range model, you may -still- be dissatisfied with the speed, UNLESS you also get the 1tb fusion drive option. That will cost you a little more $$$, however.

It's possible to easily upgrade the mid-range model by adding the PCI-e cable and a "blade" type SSD, but the only way to obtain the blade SSD is in the "used market", such as ebay. It's more cost-effective to spend the additional $$$ "up front" and order up the mid-range model with the 1tb fusion drive already installed. You WILL NOT regret spending the extra money to do this, once you have it on your desk...

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I was lucky enough to get a 2014 mid range Mini for $599 on sale. Even with the standard spinner, it's fast enough for my needs. I will eventually install an SSD after my warrantee expires

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Personally, I think the 2.3ghz 2012 model is the best bang for buck. I do own one though, so maybe I'm biased :) .

No youre exactly right. It's better value for the dollar vs the 2.6 model. In fact, for the price you pay for it vs the performance, it is probably the best value Macintosh of all time.

I was able to snag one from Musiciansfriend.com the day Apple crippled the mini. I had to scramble and get an emergency loan from the bank and use my grandparent's credit card to place the order, all because I waited patiently like legions of other mac mini enthusiasts, only for Apple to deal a devastating blow to the mini line.

L7qPayF19I6

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
It's possible to easily upgrade the mid-range model by adding the PCI-e cable and a "blade" type SSD, but the only way to obtain the blade SSD is in the "used market", such as ebay.

Can you or someone else explain why this is the only route available for obtaining a blade SSD that will work in the 2014 Mini?

Thanks.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Just open it up and if anything goes wrong with it then just put the original drive back in. The people at the Apple store don't give that much of a **** to check if you've tampered with it.

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

They won't fit into anything else other than the nMP, because they're too wide if I remember right.

----------

Then where does Apple get them? :eek: :p

What you meant to say was that no one makes the Apple PCIe SSD as a separate non-OEM part. The only option is to buy one pulled out of a Mac on eBay.

Samsung, SanDisk and Toshiba.

Yup, what I meant was, the PCIe SSDs are not directly available for consumers to purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.