Best bang for your buck Mac-mini around $600?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by maricircus, Apr 16, 2015.

1. maricircus macrumors newbie

Hello macrumors. I'm looking for a solid Mac-mini under $600. Im intrigued by how easily portable they are + I heard some of the older models are surprisingly powerful for their price-range. Some programs I'll be running: Logic, Photoshop, iMovie, and a couple of Steam games as well.

I currently have a 2008 mbp and am looking to upgrade asap.

ty!!

2. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

any mid-range 2012 or 2014 mini would be perfect for you providing you install an SSD in it.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The way I divide Mac Minis is by needs.

Do you need USB 3.0? Then you must get a 2012 or newer.
    Do you need quad core? Then you must get a 2012.
    Do you need need/want to tinker with it? Then you must get a 2012.
    Do you need the best possible graphics? Then you must get a 2014.

Personally, I think the 2.3ghz 2012 model is the best bang for buck. I do own one though, so maybe I'm biased :) .

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You SHOULD NOT buy "anything less" than the 2014 "mid-range" Mini.

If you buy the entry-level model, you will be back here in short time asking "how do I speed this up?"

Even if you buy the mid-range model, you may -still- be dissatisfied with the speed, UNLESS you also get the 1tb fusion drive option. That will cost you a little more $$$, however.

It's possible to easily upgrade the mid-range model by adding the PCI-e cable and a "blade" type SSD, but the only way to obtain the blade SSD is in the "used market", such as ebay. It's more cost-effective to spend the additional $$$ "up front" and order up the mid-range model with the 1tb fusion drive already installed. You WILL NOT regret spending the extra money to do this, once you have it on your desk...

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I was lucky enough to get a 2014 mid range Mini for $599 on sale. Even with the standard spinner, it's fast enough for my needs. I will eventually install an SSD after my warrantee expires

6. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Did you purchase Applecare?

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've owned several Macs since 2002 and never once bought AppleCare. So far it's worked out in my favor. Even if my new Mac Mini dies soon after the one year warrantee expires, I'm still way ahead of the game..

8. Bollockser macrumors regular

No youre exactly right. It's better value for the dollar vs the 2.6 model. In fact, for the price you pay for it vs the performance, it is probably the best value Macintosh of all time.

I was able to snag one from Musiciansfriend.com the day Apple crippled the mini. I had to scramble and get an emergency loan from the bank and use my grandparent's credit card to place the order, all because I waited patiently like legions of other mac mini enthusiasts, only for Apple to deal a devastating blow to the mini line.

9. L7qPayF19I6 macrumors newbie

Can you or someone else explain why this is the only route available for obtaining a blade SSD that will work in the 2014 Mini?

Thanks.

10. scaramoosh, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Just open it up and if anything goes wrong with it then just put the original drive back in. The people at the Apple store don't give that much of a **** to check if you've tampered with it.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

The only other vendor is OWC, and if you saw what they charge you would fall over. Used pulls are a bargain and have native trim.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

OWC doesn't even make them actually.

In fact, nobody makes the Apple PCIe blades.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Then where does Apple get them? :eek: :p

What you meant to say was that no one makes the Apple PCIe SSD as a separate non-OEM part. The only option is to buy one pulled out of a Mac on eBay.

14. MacVidCards Suspended

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They won't fit into anything else other than the nMP, because they're too wide if I remember right.

----------

Samsung, SanDisk and Toshiba.

Yup, what I meant was, the PCIe SSDs are not directly available for consumers to purchase.