Best basic image editor with layers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmesser, Jan 29, 2015.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I use CS6 and LR and figured out what I needed to know as I went along. Although I have only scratched the surface in terms of what the programs can do I find that I'm learning more as time goes on. A colleague has recently asked me to recommend a program for creating banners and other web graphics, often from multiple photos. I am hesitant to recommend Photoshop as the learning curve would be prohibitive, even though that's what I would use to crank them out fairly quickly. (In cases where Photoshop would be needed I could set the person up for the job.) I would use PS layers to create a composition from several photos, so I'm looking for a program that supports layers (and text layers), "punching out" images from background, image color/contrast correction, artistic editing but does not have the complexity of Photoshop and would be suitable for use by a generalist type user working with an existing photography collection. Other important pluses would be ability to use with Applescript/Automator. A simpler program with these needed capabilities would be efficient and also give my colleague a sense of independence and confidence. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. Just looked at it (had heard of it before) and it does look really good. Seems to require 10.10 now which is a downer, as I don't want to upgrade Mac OS and then have to start replacing/upgrading essential programs. Something to consider though.

4. CrickettGrrrl, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Pixelmator works with Mavericks, OS X 10.9, which is what I'm using. If you are on an earlier version of OS X than that, consider Acorn. It uses layers, etc. It's also in the Mac App Store & supports OS X 10.8 on, although I believe you can still get earlier versions directly from Flying Meat's Acorn support website.

Another alternative is iDraw which I've found simple to use. It supports Snow Leopard 10.6.8 onward. It has layers but is a vector app, although you can download & install about a dozen plug-ins from the indeeo / iDraw website, several of which have photo manipulation filters. Plus iDraw has clipping masks. There are tutorials on the site for making photo collages and web assets. $25.

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. Will take a look at Acorn and iDraw.