Best Battery for PowerBook G4 (12")

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by three, Dec 27, 2014.

1. three macrumors 6502a

three

Hello everyone! I purchased a 12" PowerBook G4 in good condition on eBay the other day. It hasn't arrived yet but I have a question about replacement batteries. The seller said that the current battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. I'm guessing that Apple doesn't make batteries for these anymore. I'm curious what the best third party battery for the 12" PowerBook?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The best batteries are the Apple OEM ones. You'll have to find a new old stock one, but lithium batteries do have a shelf life and it may come dead and unusable. The next best ones may be NewerTech's batteries. They seem to have a good reputation with Apple laptop batteries.

3. three thread starter macrumors 6502a

three

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look for a OEM Apple one on eBay or Amazon, but if I can't find anything, I'll look for a NewerTech battery. Thank you!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you get a NewerTech one, make sure it's a new one from their site to make sure it is a good new battery with a warranty.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have two NewerTech batteries that came with my 12" PB when I bought it. The ones I have both have date stickers on them.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Be careful looking for "genuine" or "OEM" batteries because they may just be counterfeit. Avoid ones that are brand new and have many of them sold, and have professionally made images (usually white background).

7. three thread starter macrumors 6502a

three

I appreciate the tip. :D I just looked at NewerTech and it looks like they don't sell anything for the 12" PowerBook anymore. :(

eBay has what seems like a million and a half of the same and possibly very crappy batteries. Would my best option be with the Mayday one at this point? I didn't really find anything else that stood out in my quick search.

8. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Someone said Mayday has a good battery, at least its a brand.